Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Audio Modifications

View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?
Yes. 14 87.50%
No. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Satyllac

Default Saturn S-Series Speakers... Sizing And Information.

As far as I know, every S-Series from 1991 up to 2002 is equipped with four speakers from the factory. I've no idea where the rear speakers are on wagons, someone needs to enlighten me. On with the info...

Stock speaker size is 6.75" (front and rear both), also commonly known as "oversize 6.5"s". Most every 6.5" will fit if it has the right bracket mount. There is a huge selection when it comes to this size, it's one of the most popular automotive speaker sizes.

I wouldn't recommend doing any sort of custom modifications to fit 6"x9"s. You could most likely find a pair of 6.5"s that would perform just as well as, if not, better than that pair of 6"x9"s you're looking at.

If you've no idea what to get, and don't want to take the time to research what speakers are good and/or good deals... I'd recommend getting a pair (or two) of Pioneer 6.5" coaxials. Just make sure they're rated to handle a minimum of 40W RMS (aka "40 watts continuous", any lower power handling ratings and you're bound to be disappointed by their performance). They're relatively inexpensive (think $70 a pair or less), can be found at your local Walmart, and don't do too bad when it comes to sound recreation.

*Note* Putting in new 6.5" speakers will most likely not make your system a bass-blasting, ground-pounding stereo. If you're looking for improved bass response, you'll need to invest in 1) subwoofer(s), and appropriate amplifiers, or 2) custom enclosures for your new 6.5" speakers.*/Note*

If you're just looking for a more enjoyable time listening to the radio to and from work, a nice pair of coaxials in the front door panels should prove adequate.

If you want your Saturn to be known around the neighborhood as the "Saturn Heard 'Round The World", you're going to want a good sized amp or two, and some subwoofers to match.

If you want to be in auditory bliss when on daily commutes, or if you want your Saturn's stereo to compete with a moderate/high-end home audio system, you're most likely going to want to upgrade the front speakers to amplified components (60W RMS or higher). You may or may not wish to have rear speakers installed, if so, coaxials should do fine. To fill in the low-end of the spectrum, you'll most likely want a good sound-quality oriented subwoofer (300W RMS or higher). If you're a true audiophile, you'll probably already have your deck, amplifiers, speakers, and probably even wires picked out and on order. If not, you'll want to do some studying and researching.

Don't be fooled by "Peak" or "Max" power ratings. One could probably say, "This light bulb can handle 500 watts!". However, the light bulb could only withstand that 500 watts for a split second. In all actuality, it's your everyday 60W bulb. Same goes for speakers. Pay attention to the "RMS" or "Continuous" power ratings.

Anyone else... Feel free to add your opinions on what types, brands, and models of speakers you've had experiences with, and how you liked them.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
my99sl1

very nice post randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my99sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Cool1Net6

Satyllac does it again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cool1Net6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
Gil_87

Skillfull! swpendid, a big helping hand to the noobs (including me).

1991 Honda CRX, EIBACh springs, exhaust, underglo, spoiler, CAI.

Gil_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:46 AM   #5
ausgeflippt13

you're a bada$$.

ausgeflippt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
sw2guy
Banned

back speakers in thewagon speakers are n the hatch.
sw2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
TurboNegro

I find that the Kennwood speakers (oversized) with the adjustable tweeters work like a charm.. a bit more than Pioneer speakers though. The Kennwoods provide sufficient bass and excelent mid/high capability.

89 Conquest TSi - BEast
TurboNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:55 AM   #8
97dbsl2

Well for the auditory bliss...id suggest one of these brands

1. Eclipse, titaniums are loud and crisp when power is pushed
2. Digital Audio, also loud when power is pushed
3. FUSION...i was shocked a lil pricey but scream
4. Clif Designs, VERY hard to find but well worth the component set
5. Digital Designs...very good
6. Audiobahn if you are cheap, the alumQ series will be clean and crisp with power
97dbsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
Satyllac

Very nice listing 97dbsl2, much appreciated.

However, I see you didn't list Rainbow or Focal components in there, any reasons for that? $$"Cha-Ching"$$..
Old 12-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Low Saturn

Default Re: Saturn S-Series Speakers... Sizing And Information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyllac
Stock speaker size is 6.75" (front and rear both), also commonly known as "oversize 6.5"s". Most every 6.5" will fit if it has the right bracket mount. There is a huge selection when it comes to this size, it's one of the most popular automotive speaker sizes.
Regular 6.5's can fit with an adaptor plate. A template for one can be found on out site:

http://www.differentracing.com/forum...ead.php?t=1486

Quote:
Saturn S-Series vehicles come stardard with 6.75 in speakers. The standard size for aftermarket speakers is 6.5 inches. Some major brand speaker manufactures make 6.5 inch speakers with tabs that allow mounting in vehicles with 6.75 inch openings. For those who dont a speaker adaptor will be needed to install a 6.5 in the oversized opening.

Download one of the following images to make your own speaker adaptor. Open the image in your image editing program like Adobe Photoshop for example. Do not edit or change the image in any way. Just open it and print it full size. Cut it out and trace it onto a 1/8" or 4mm thick piece of ABS plastic, acrylic or plexiglass. Cut the larger inner circle first, then cut the outside diameter of the adaptor. Mount you speaker to the adaptor then the entire unit onto the vehicle.

JPG format:
http://www.differentracing.com/mike/...keradaptor.jpg

PSD (Photoshop format):
http://www.differentracing.com/mike/...keradaptor.psd

1991 Saturn SL2 Dragster
11.8@ 116mph

2001 Light Pewter Metallic Chevrolet Suburban

1.9L 1993 Saturn SW1a --> 2.0L 1993 Saturn SW2m
(Twin Cam Swap Complete)

Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote