Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 04-16-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
use2b

Default where do i check the transmission fluid on 2001 L2.2

Hello - I am a Disable US Marine in north Florida.
I just bought my daughter a 2001 Saturn yesterday.
I can not find how to check the transmission fluid although I did find where to put the fluid in.
I hope there was not a stick under that red cap because nothing is there but the cap.
I am ordering a owners manual from Ebay and I did buy a Haynes manual which only says it is next to the distributor.
it is obviously an older model they are talking about , can anyone help me on locate where and how to check this fluid. Thanks from Pensacola

Old 04-16-2005, 02:13 AM   #2
Ssicarman
Community Manager

Welcome to the Board.

The auto trans on your car (daughter's) is a filled for life trans. Basicly if there are no fluid leaks you don't need to check the fluid level because the level will be fine. The red cap is on the fill hole for the trans and there is no dip stick.
There is a way of checking the level. The trans needs to be at a minimum operating temp (or higher) level then a plug is removed from the trans. If the fluid is at the right level the fluid should be level with the plug hole. So in other words if you were to add fluid at that point it would immediatly start draining fluid from the hole if the fluid is at the correct level.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
ian12

yeah quite a few gms are now doing this. just another way to prevent the shady tree mechanic from doing work on his car. but there is a check plug, like Ssicarman said, on the side of the trans. i cant quite remember where its at but i remember checking one at the shop. i think its towards the back about halfway up transmission. not very descriptive but i dont remember where its at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
saturn tech

trans level plug is at back off trans behind where right side axle goes into trans fluid should be level with whole on level ground or lift at operating temp.
saturn tech is offline   Reply With Quote