Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 05-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
SattyShifter

Default Sticky gas pedal? How to clean your throttle body: tutorial.

anyone elses' gas pedal stick so u have to pop it b4 u accelerate??? i tried wd-40 and it didnt work. any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
SL2

Clean the TB... that might help... might be build up with carbon?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
scottyr94

That is the first thing I would try. Go under the hood and open the throttle body by hand. If you notice it sticking at all, probably will be bad since you feel it in the pedal, you need a good cleaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottyr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
sifon187

mine does it sometimes, and i was wondering how to fix it, now i know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sifon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
erikumikabe
Banned

I'm wondering if yours does the same thing as mine. I have a 2000 SL1 and when I push on the pedal with the slightest bit of pressure, nothing happens, it "sticks". I have to give it that little extra push for it to unstick. It will only do that if no pressure on the gas pedal is applied whatsoever (ie when at a stop light, or before I start driving in the morning). I'm gonna try the same thing as they recommended, but with my luck, I'll end up spending an hour just checking the thing...sad really.
erikumikabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:07 AM   #6
PurdueGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikumikabe
with my luck, I'll end up spending an hour just checking the thing...sad really.
Not if I can help it...

First of all:

This is my throttle body. Yours probably looks simmliar, or it may be verticle. The yellow circle is what you need to play with to check your throttle body. It is a piece mounted on the end of a shaft, and it has a cable going to it. If you've got a friend around, have him or her push on your gas pedal so you can see what happens - the cable will pull and turn the shaft.

With your hand, turn this piece to turn the shaft. If it sticks AT ALL, clean the throttle body.

Step 2:

To get to what you need to clean (the butterfly flap), go red, yellow, green. (Red) Pull this little hose off from the intake.
(Yellow) Squeeze this clamp together. (If other series of cars have other clamps, please post the info.) It is tight - I find using locking pliers to work well.
(Red) with the clamp squeezed, pull the hose off. It may require some wigglin'.

With the intake off, play with the shaft & see how the butterfly works. With the butterfly open, spray throttle body cleaner on it (the side you see with the flap shut is likely to by shiny, while the backside is covered in oil). Be prepared with paper towels or rags, because the spray will start flowing out full of oil very quickly.

Oh, and when you reassemble (reverse of disassembly) and go to start it, expect it to be a little hard to start at first - engines dont' run well on TB cleaner.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:05 AM   #7
SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikumikabe
with my luck, I'll end up spending an hour just checking the thing...sad really.
and go to start it, expect it to be a little hard to start at first - engines dont' run well on TB cleaner.
thats why i leave my running when i clean the tb to spary it... fun to watch it trying to die.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
SattyShifter

thanx a lot purdueguy. no more probs with it.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
PurdueGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SattyShifter
thanx a lot purdueguy. no more probs with it.
Cool. Teach others as you can - I just learned this about a month ago.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
Coldsolderjoint

would it be more through to take the throttle body off with the two bolts and clean it real good from the inside too?..

i heard that the gasket should still be good as long as you dont intentionally scrape it with a screw driver or something?

and my car has a hose clamp instead of a spring clamp, you jsut turn the screw instead of squeazing the ring