Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 06-15-2005, 02:07 AM   #21
brad_bb

If all of your throttle bodies are gummed up with that much oil/carbon sludge, you're probably burning oil too. Check out my article about oil burning in the "How To" of the technical section. The inside of my throttle body was coated too and it was sticky, but the problem went well beyond that...

Old 06-16-2005, 04:37 AM   #22
FroManHD

I used Seafoam Deep Creep to clean mine. Works like a charm and supposedly cleans other internal parts as well while running through the engine.
FroManHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 AM   #23
brad_bb

Sea Foam may not do as much as you think, especially when oil sludge is just caked in there like many are. I had done sea foam and then 4000 miles later when I had to pull the tranny, I decided to pull the engine apart and re-ring. There was still plenty of oil sludge/soot in there and the stuff that was hard packed into my ring grooves wasn't removed by the sea foam. Even with a piston groove cleaning tool that scrapes the carbon it was difficult to remove. Even after using the tool I broke an old ring and cleaned the groove until is was totally clean. I reassembled the engine and I'm putting it back in this Saturday(finally after one delay after another).
Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #24
cbone99sc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr94
K, I have been a slight problem with mine sticking as well, and after seeing this I decided to quit being lazy and take my TB off and clean it good. Holy was that thing full of oil and sludge. There was a huge layer covering the whole backside of the plate. I clean it up VERY nicely and wow, I have never had throttle response like that in my car, EVER. Yeah, it was pretty bad. I would recommend doing this on a regular basis. Took me all of 20 minutes to remove, clean, and put back on.
same here i just got done cleaning it....i took it off and there was a crap load of oil and junk. thanks for posting that PurdueGuy...it helped!
cbone99sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #25
irideflatland

Ok, I took mine off, but there is a bunch of crap in the thing it was connected to. I don't know what it is called though. Should I clean that part too?
irideflatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #26
PurdueGuy

probably the idle air controller - yeah, go ahead & clean that out good too.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #27
irideflatland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
The thing in the top left corner.
irideflatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:55 PM   #28
PurdueGuy

Oh, the big thing? That's the intake manifold. I'm not experienced with taking that off & cleaning it, but feel free to spray some cleaner down in there...
Old 10-01-2005, 07:17 AM   #29
neilh
Banned

Default car help

great post purdueguy..i am alot like you.... if i know something i try to share the knowlege that comes with working on cars..i am a member of probetalk forums too ....ive helped many Probers learn to do a diagnostics w/o a scanner on OBD1 cars 93 thru 95..on those cars a single jumper wire puts the computer in self-test mode and the CEL blinks out the trouble codes which are one digit on 93-95...im an electronics tech so its real easy for me to fix any electronic stuff like sensors gone bad etc..... how to check the TPS using resistance measurements or voltage drops .......most engine sensors are thermisters... that is they are kinda like variable resistors whose resistance changes with temperature.
neilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #30
PurdueGuy

Default Re: car help

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilh
great post purdueguy..i am alot like you.... if i know something i try to share the knowlege that comes with working on cars..i am a member of probetalk forums too ....ive helped many Probers learn to do a diagnostics w/o a scanner on OBD1 cars 93 thru 95..on those cars a single jumper wire puts the computer in self-test mode and the CEL blinks out the trouble codes which are one digit on 93-95...im an electronics tech so its real easy for me to fix any electronic stuff like sensors gone bad etc..... how to check the TPS using resistance measurements or voltage drops .......most engine sensors are thermisters... that is they are kinda like variable resistors whose resistance changes with temperature.
Yup - always good to share some of that knowledge. Often it seems that the longer someone has been around the stuff, the less they care to explain the simple stuff, so it works out to have the somewhat experienced people (a.k.a. me) explain some of it so they don't have to anymore.

A lot of the same stuff applies to Saturns as you described for the Probe. OBD1 was in Saturns til '95 (or was it '94?), and troubleshooting involves paperclips. We also have thermistors for the ECTS, as well as the IAT (intake air temp). We end up telling a LOT of people to replace their ECTS, because up until like '01, they used a resin tip which eventually cracks and goes bad. After that, they switched to a brass tip, which pretty much lasts forever.