Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 AM   #1
FroManHD

Default Dead Battery

I know this isnt a saturn question but it is a GM vehicle. I was wondering if anybody would know whats causing the battery to die overnight on our 1991 Pontiac Trans Sport SE. The alternator is good becuz the van can run after it is jumped. The battery was replaced with a brand new battery but about a week after the battery died completely overnight.

FroManHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
PurdueGuy

just because the car can run after it's jumped doesn't negate the alt as an option. Sometimes an alt can go bad but still put out enough juice that it seems ok for a while. I just replaced one for a friend 2 weeks ago that was putting out 12 volts. It should put out 13.5-15 volts. Your battery could also be bad, even though it's new - running a battery dead a few times is often all it takes to kill it. You could also have a short or bad ground somewhere.

I'd start by checking the alt. Jump the car, and with it running (and disconnected from the other car), use a multimeter across the battery terminals to check for volts. If it's less than 13.5, your alt is probably junk. There are sometimes situations where the alt seems fine at an idle, but isn't fine under a load.

Since this is happening overnight, there's a decent chance it's a ground thing, just don't count other things out yet.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
blackeagle

Make sure you don't have any interior lights turned on. I have a 94 Trans Sport and my kids will oftentimes leave one of the rear lights on causing my battery to go dead. I'm still on my original alternator after 239,000 miles but have gone through multiple batteries. As Purdueguy said, after batteries are completely drained a few times they will not hold a charge.
1998 White SL2a
blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
Robert-sl2

Also, recharging a battery from dead on the alternator will kill the alternator. ideally when a battery is dead it should be charged on an external charger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(no longer mine)
Proud Owner of a 2005 Storm Grey Saturn Vue
Robert-sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
PurdueGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-sl2
Also, recharging a battery from dead on the alternator will kill the alternator. ideally when a battery is dead it should be charged on an external charger.
True!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:25 AM   #6
FroManHD

thanx for the help. ill have to test the battery to see what the alternator is putting out.
FroManHD is offline   Reply With Quote