Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 06-24-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
PurdueGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishehappy
this should be stickied
That's the idea, once it's more refined (though I guess it could be a sticky and a work in process all at once - but I'd want the main thread at the top of the thread.

PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:24 AM   #12
Robert-sl2

from a quick look @ the list one thing I noticed for the ECTS, it is NOT on the rear of the engine. It is on the drivers side of the head (below the intake) and a note shoudl be made that no certain years (possibly first gen's?) there are 2 sensors there, the 2 wire sensor is the ECTS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(no longer mine)
Proud Owner of a 2005 Storm Grey Saturn Vue
Robert-sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #13
PurdueGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-sl2
from a quick look @ the list one thing I noticed for the ECTS, it is NOT on the rear of the engine. It is on the drivers side of the head (below the intake) and a note shoudl be made that no certain years (possibly first gen's?) there are 2 sensors there, the 2 wire sensor is the ECTS.
Made the change for the location, and added the note about the other sensor, thanks!

Oh, here's a Q: Sleeper - when you looked this stuff up, was it for SOHC or DOHC? Any way we can find out the differences? I imagine many sensors are the same, and many are in the same locations on both, but I'd guess there are differences.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
Sleeper SL2

It was for a 97 sl2. I can look up the other ones but it will take some time. The computer lab here is closed until monday. What others do you want me to look up?
SPOC-North Member.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sleeper SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #15
PurdueGuy

Might start with a 97 SL1, just so we can see where the differences lie between the SOHC and DOHC of the same year. Later we can try to look at other years or something. Fortunately, they should be mostly the same.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #16
goochs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
Quote:
Made the change for the location, and added the note about the other sensor, thanks!

Oh, here's a Q: Sleeper - when you looked this stuff up, was it for SOHC or DOHC? Any way we can find out the differences? I imagine many sensors are the same, and many are in the same locations on both, but I'd guess there are differences.
You guys have me confused now.. Isn't the drivers side of the engine actually the rear?? since the engine sits in line with the wheels??
goochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:53 PM   #17
PurdueGuy

Can someone take a picture of the ECTS location so we can clarify this better?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #18
Ssicarman

The S-series coolant temps sensors are all on the back of the head. The PCM one is middle lower of the head and the gauge one (last year was 95) is where the rad hose fitting is on the head.

As for left and right locations most things on cars are left and right as viewed from the drivers seat. Left is the drivers side and right is passenger side. Even if you are standing at the front of the car the drivers rear tire (example) stays as the LR tire. The engine is the only thing that gets its own orientation. Standing facing the engine your left is the engine left and the front is the accessory (pullies) end of the engine.

This project is a good idea. Keep having at it and once it is all set up into a final form we can either make it into a sticky here in tech or move it to the how to section.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:49 AM   #19
scottyr94

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
Quote:

You guys have me confused now.. Isn't the drivers side of the engine actually the rear?? since the engine sits in line with the wheels??
The front of the engine is always the side with all the belts and stuff on it, and the rear is where the tranny bolts up to. Look at how the cylinders are numbered, 1 in the front to 4 in the rear.

scottyr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #20
PurdueGuy

I prob won't be able to work on this again until next week, because I will be out of town wed-sun, so don't think I've abandoned it. If anyone wants to work on how-tos for removal/installation or testing of sensors, or anything else on the to-do list, it would be awesome, and I'll compile when I get back if no one has beaten me to it.

Note that at this point I expect how-tos to be written seperately and placed in the how-to forum, then linked to from this document as it develops, so those how-tos can be developed completely independantly of this list.