Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 09-06-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
ACE97sl1

Default ebay intake question

has anyone tried the intake on ebay that cost like 10 bucks, that seems to be a low price for something like that so I wanted to know if somebody had/got one and is it worth it.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
turbo_saturn85

Sure, it works. It just doesn't fit the best like a name brand one would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
turbo_saturn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Coldsolderjoint

the filter probably wont be of the best quality..
Old 09-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
PurdueGuy

also, be sure to check the shipping cost. Usually the cheap ones make up for it somewhat with like $20+ shipping charges.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
the Shaolin UWP

Yeah, an intake is an intake. You can make one out of furnace tubing, and it will work fine.

Here's my question...what about the super cheap ebay strut bars?
the Shaolin UWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
irideflatland

Ya, I bought one from eBay. It was $10 with $20 or $30 shipping, but it was still cheaper than anywhere else so I got it. I haven't noticed any performance increase, but it does sound a lot better. The only problem I had was that it rubbed on my battery, so I just wrapped a rubber tube around that spot so it doesn't wear down the metal.
irideflatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
impulse93

Technically No.

It's not the same because research was not put into it to find optimum length for velocity. But yeah, if you just want noise and looks, yeah, it'll do ya fine.
impulse93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
PurdueGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Shaolin UWP
Here's my question...what about the super cheap ebay strut bars?
They're fine. the difference between them and the high-dollar ones is mimimal - the high dollar ones are only worth it for the extremely serious autocrosser, etc.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:41 AM   #9
scottyr94

I see these threads soooooo much, and my answer is the same as it always has been and always will be. The ebay ones are not the same any other intake. You get what you pay for. You want my opinion? I have tried 4 different intakes in my time. First was the BOMZ wai. That was the worst fitting thing I have ever had. The pipe was too large, the adapter for the throttle body was too large and never stayed on no matter how much I tightened the clamps, and there was no braket to hold it so it rubbed on the upper radiator hose. I tossed it right in the garbage and bought an AEM wai and I was impressed with the quality and how well it fit. Looked like it belonged on the car, and even came with detailed instruction for those of you that aren't good around cars. When I got my SC, I wanted to with a cai, so I tried out the CP, and I got similar results as I did with the BOMZ. I hear good things about these, but it rubbed on everything and didn't fit right. Finally got my AEM cai and I expected it to fit just as well as my wai, and it didn't disappoint me one bit. Only minor problem was rubbing on the battery, easily solved by a little adjustment. All I have to say is you get what you pay for, and I have experience, I have tried several of them, spent my own money so I could tell people about em, and I say AEM hands down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottyr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:18 AM   #10
bldegle2

Default well, i have to disagree with the above postage^^^^^^^^^^^^

the first one is the one I got, fits perfect, works great. $85, buy it now

the second one is exactly the same as the first one, with the exception of the K&N cone filter. $100, buy it now.

the third one is an AEM, works exactly the same as either of the above, and I am not sure whether this model tucks into the left fenderwell or just ends below the left front of the tranny/engine, there to possibly suck some rain water. buy it now for $210.

these are all CAI, not short rams.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEGAL...temZ7998216984

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99...temZ7997787335

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-C...QQcmdZViewItem

i might add that i had several intakes laying around (yes, i got three different ones), so i was able to slap a K&N on the cheap one I got.

it all depends on your budget or whether you want to brag you have and AEM, but I can tell you for sure either of the first two perform just as well as the AEM unit, and for quite a bit less. not only that, if you are worried about the fit on the cheaper units, like a glove.

whatever. the unit i got is also carb approved in all 50 states.....

and i can provide pics for the mentally impaired.

baldy
97 SW2, sleeper w/tricks, 56mm TB, CAI, oil catcher, plasma booster, front/REAR strut braces, drilled/slotted front/REAR, Eibachs, KYB2's, 225/40/17, unorthodox underdrive, SPS short shifter. SPS poly suspension and True HID lighting the way....
bldegle2 is offline   Reply With Quote