Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 09-18-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
93Miata
Banned

Default Saturn SL2 Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructi

What does your local dealer charge for Saturn keyless entry remotes?

My Saturn dealer wants $99 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (98 SL2, 02 VUE).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

93Miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
vms150

im pretty sure to program it you cycle the key 3 times, and all the doors will lock and unlock then you hold both button on the remote down for 15 seconds until the doors lock and unlock gain. then your set. so atleast the programming fees are out of the way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brady
'93 SC2 (hydrolocked)
'93 Cherokee (lifted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr94
I plan on racing with hopes and dreams
vms150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
PurdueGuy

I've purchased a few fobs off e-bay and never had that trouble. Did you check seller feedback before buying? Did you try contacting the seller and complaining?

The first new fob I got for my '99 was from the dealer - about $50. They don't charge to program. Sounds like you're dealer is run by, well, a jerk. Might try another dealership if there's one anywhere close by.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
93Miata
Banned

Yes, of course I checked feedback. Everything looked legit, the listing showed pictures of a new or like new remote, but what I received was useless garbage. Only 1 of the 3 would allow a refund but ONLY after I paid a restocking fee which was BS. The other 2 would not provide any refund and their listings did not say anything about all sales final. I paid with USPS money orders, so I'm going to my post office on Monday to see if I can file any fraud complaints, but I doubt that will go anywhere. The reason these people have high feedback is they threaten to leave you a negative if you complain on their record.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
PurdueGuy

That stinks. Sounds like the dealer's trying to rip you off, too. Do you have the original fobs to get the part #'s for? If so, you might be able to order the fobs from a different dealer for a more reasonable price. I think you can program a '98 yourself, then. Did it on my '99, and it was a piece of cake.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:06 AM   #6
93Miata
Banned

Yeah, I do have the instructions. If I can find a good deal somewhere I'll check back in here.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:34 AM   #7
93Miata
Banned

I found another keyless entry remote site online that I'm willing to give a shot - www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

The KR site wants $54 a piece for the 98 SL2 remote, and they're less than 1/2 that price on ThePartsYouNeed site with the instructions included. I ordered 1 this morning.

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/disp...productId=1735

I'll keep you guys posted. If it works good, I'm going to order one for my VUE as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:19 AM   #8
93Miata
Banned

I got my remote from ThePartsYouNeed.com in the mail today. 5 days isn't bad especially when one was a Sunday.

Programming was easy, took about 10 seconds. I can't believe a dealership would charge 1/2 hour of labor for a 10 second job. Thats a good way to lose customers.

Anyhow, the remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the Vue I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the SL2 and a pair for the Vue. FINALLY, I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

ThePartsYouNeed.com rocks!
Old 10-08-2005, 03:53 AM   #9
93Miata
Banned

I got a notification today that one of those ebay sellers was suspended (probably for the same issue with other people). I'm doubt there is any recourse to get my money back, but at least nobody else gets burned. I found something else odd out today too. On another forum, somebody mentioned that they had pretty badly limited range with their remote, but if they aimed the remote at their chin, they could get the car to lock and unlock from about 80 ft away.

I tried it when I was headed back to my car from the mall today, and it works...lol. Probably will get brain cancer now...but it about triples the range.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
PurdueGuy

lol - I'll have to try that.