Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > General Saturn Model Range Discussion

Old 11-27-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
eddy

Default Towing a Saturn all four wheels down

Hello everyone:

I have a RV and tow a jeep 4w, auto trans, behind it, all four wheels down.
I am interested in a Saturn as I am told they can also be towed all 4 down?

However it must be a sedan, not a huge vehicle one needs a ladder to get in and out of. My wife is 100% handicapped and I have to lift her in and out of what ever we drive.
With a sedan I can sort of slide her out of the wheel chair into the car and do the opposite to get her out. Sure helps this old back of mine.
Old, I am 70 my wife is 68.

The closest Saturn dealer is some 70 miles one way from our home.

As I look around on the internet, I fail to find which ones can be towed, with a automatic tranny.

Any suggestions?
Thank you, eddy

Old 11-27-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
bldegle2

saturns can be towed, my parents had an SC1 with automatic and hauled that sucker around behind a motorhome, four wheels down.

go for it.

baldy
97 SW2, sleeper w/tricks, 56mm TB, CAI, oil catcher, plasma booster, front/REAR strut braces, drilled/slotted front/REAR, Eibachs, KYB2's, 225/40/17, unorthodox underdrive, SPS short shifter. SPS poly suspension and True HID lighting the way....
bldegle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
redturtle98

where i live i see plenty of Rv's pulling Saturns all wheels to the ground. the ones i have seen are 4 doors. i don't think i've ever seen a coupe pulled. good luck with your buy! you should be very happy with your Saturn if you decide to get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

redturtle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:49 AM   #4
white_shadow

why tow with 4 wheels down? get a dolly and tow the car with the front wheels up on the dolly.

towing an auto with the drive wheels rotating you run a good chance of damaging the tranny.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
Coldsolderjoint

yes, they can be towed with 4 wheels down.

The proper procedure is in the owners manual.

A saturn guru on this site has posted that you can remove the vehicle speed sensors from thw wheels while towing, and no miles will go on the odometer.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
gn85

Just out of curiousity.. what is it that makes Saturns so adapt to towing on all fours that other vehicles are not?? Thanks
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
Support Education
gn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
PurdueGuy

Default Re: Towing a Saturn all four wheels down

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
However it must be a sedan, not a huge vehicle one needs a ladder to get in and out of. My wife is 100% handicapped and I have to lift her in and out of what ever we drive.
With a sedan I can sort of slide her out of the wheel chair into the car and do the opposite to get her out. Sure helps this old back of mine.
Old, I am 70 my wife is 68.
You may want to take a look at the 3 door coupes - they are really good for people with wheelchairs from what I understand, because of the extra door clearance. Plus they look great.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:36 PM   #8
impulse93

All saturns can be towed. You will need to buy the proper towing attachment, but it can be found used fairly cheap. You may notice many saturns running around with what looks like a snow plow hidden under some sort of vinyl cover. That's what they are. THey extend out and hook up to your reciever.

I've seen ALL types of saturns (Except the Redline ION and Vue) being towed 4 to the floor.

You gotta get the sticker for your back window that says "Steer clear, I'm pushing this RV"

As far as 4 doors though, you currently have the ION, L-series, or a pre-owned SL (SL2, has the stronger of the 1.9, while the SL and SL1 only have 85hp pre95, and 100HP thereafter.)

You don't have to disconnect the speed sensor, it will not accumulate any mileage as long as the vehicle is not on, or the accessories.
impulse93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #9
gn85

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse93

You gotta get the sticker for your back window that says "Steer clear, I'm pushing this RV"
LOL... that's a funny image.
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
Support Education
gn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #10
white_shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn85
Just out of curiousity.. what is it that makes Saturns so adapt to towing on all fours that other vehicles are not?? Thanks
what i am wondering...