Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
PurdueGuy

Default How to remove rear bumper cover?

So the first real snow is on the ground, along with the ice patches and all. I'm totally used to it, and doing fine. The guy who rear-ended me with his toyota, on the other hand...

There's no visible damage to my car aside from a paint scratch about half the size of a pinkey fingernail clipping. I want to check the foam inside the bumper, though, to see if it's been crushed much and know if I should contact his insurance company or whatnot.

So how do I go about removing the rear bumper cover? Also, anything else I should look at? All panels seem to match up evenly, and from what I can tell exactly how they did before (go saturn!) I do have access to a heated garage, fortunately.

PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:44 AM   #2
the Shaolin UWP

I believe there are clips in the top of the bumper, and it pulls off towards the back of the car. I'll check my haynes real quick.

"In the rear compartment, remove the plastic retainers and detach bumper cover"

Yeah, you just gotta mess with it, I think.
14.526 at 98.08 on the juice
the Shaolin UWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Ssicarman

Push pin hold in clips all over the place. Top of the cover, bottom of the cover and in the wheel wells.
If memory serves me correctly there may also be a few screw bolts in behind the fender liners attaching the cover to the body. May also need to remove the tail lenses. Once again not 100% sure.

Basicly start removing things until the cover falls off.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:53 AM   #4
Coldsolderjoint

on mine, 2001 sc1.. there were these circle looking things that used rivets to hold the bumper cover to the rear quarter panel..

psh man.. being its winter and your that concerend.. id just go ahead and let a shop check it.... remember your gunna have to spend hours getting the thing lined up correclty again..

he hit you.. AND he has an import! besides.. dont shops give out free estimates? couldnt a collision guy tell if its been crushed? and if its not.. then dont file the claim... did you get a police report?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 AM   #5
Robert-sl2

getting it off is cake. And it doesnt require hours to line back up, it slides right back in where it came from, lines itself up on the guide pins. all you have to do is follow the edge of the bumper and take out the fasteners. most are the classic saturn plastic rivets, and I think there are a few small hex-head 'screws'/small bolts in the wheel well. get all these out and the cover slides right off. easiest with 2 people, one on each side so it doesnt drop on the floor and get scratched since it is kinda wobbly and akward for one person. On my SL2 I could get the bumper cover off in 10 minutes or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(no longer mine)
Proud Owner of a 2005 Storm Grey Saturn Vue
Robert-sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:30 AM   #6
PurdueGuy

Cool. Maybe this friday I'll get a chance to check it. Didn't get a police report, so I'm not sure how that would affect being able to make a claim anyway. Wanted to get someplace, didn't see any damage, and wasn't thinking very clearly.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
barristo

Finally something I know how to do that purdue didnt'.... and I didn't get the chance to answer.

Inside my bumper wasn't foam.. it was some rubber stuff. I don't think you could damage it.

I do remember seeing a saturn with foam inside though. Was it certain years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cardomain.com/ride/2044407
barristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
micah_sl2

when i pulled mine off there were a bunch of gray sqaures stuck together -

the only foam i remember was the front bumper
micah_sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
barristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_sl2
when i pulled mine off there were a bunch of gray sqaures stuck together -

the only foam i remember was the front bumper
yeah i have the rubber squares front and back?

cardomain.com/ride/2044407
barristo is offline   Reply With Quote