Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Vue

Old 01-07-2006, 05:23 AM   #1
trannykiller72

Default Question for anyone living in the snow zone.

I have a 2003 V6 FWD with the conventional transmission, factory tires and steel wheels with very good tread and only 30,000 miles on it.

Has anyone had this problem yet, almost every time it snows the my VUE gets stuck in any accumulation of snow over 1"?

Also when I give it gas as it gets stuck I hear a grind or humming noise from the front axle? Any ideas at all?

Thanks,

Trannykiller72
St. Cloud, MN

2002 SL2
2003 VUE-DOHC
trannykiller72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
gn85

Not that I know anything about Saturn VUE's, but when you get stuck in snow, is one tire, or both tires spinning??
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
Support Education
gn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
bldegle2

assuming FWD is front wheel drive, and considering you live in Minnesota with the righteously cold icey winters...............

you should have the four wheel drive version, it would help a bunch, but if you got at least snow tires for the front and for driving in the wintertime only, you may have better luck

as far as the grinding goes, that may not be a problem, but just the sound of the one spinning wheel making noise under heavy revs......

baldy
97 SW2, sleeper w/tricks, 56mm TB, CAI, oil catcher, plasma booster, front/REAR strut braces, drilled/slotted front/REAR, Eibachs, KYB2's, 225/40/17, unorthodox underdrive, SPS short shifter. SPS poly suspension and True HID lighting the way....
bldegle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
barristo

My 4cyl AWD vue is great in the snow even with all seasons. Havn't been stuck ever. I live in New Brunswick, Canada and we get a good load of snow. You should be ok though?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cardomain.com/ride/2044407
barristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
trannykiller72

Default Stuck in the snow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn85
Not that I know anything about Saturn VUE's, but when you get stuck in snow, is one tire, or both tires spinning??
Both tires spin, but it just sinks itself deeper in the snow if you give it any more than 2,000 rpms. (any gear).

The tires on the VUE (factory) are all season, I would think that they should be good for winter as well as any time of the year.

I didn't pickup AWD because of the fuel mileage loss/cost ratio. Most FWD vehicles easily handle the snow but for some reason mine doesn't. Does anyone know some good winter tires for the VUE?

2002 SL2
2003 VUE-DOHC
trannykiller72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:33 AM   #6
sifon187

its the tires....i use to live in the upper penisula of michigan. we would get 250+" of snow a year...ive never had a problem with fwd cars getting stuck in a small amount of snow....my dads tracer would plow through a foot of snow with no problem....ur tires may say all season...but it doesnt mean there going to be good in snow...id get some snow tires...prolly work wonders...or go old fashion and get some snow chains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sifon187 is offline   Reply With Quote