Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Audio Modifications

Old 01-30-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
jwill

Default BOSE Audio

a friend of mine wants 2 get an aftermarket HU put in his car in place of his bose hu which wont play cds anymore but he says when he took it to best buy they told him that the only way the could put in an aftermarket hu would be to re-wire the and put in all new speakers because u cant use bose speakers with another hu is this true or did they just tell him some bull to get him to spend some more money

jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
93 saturn sl2

What kind of car is it? Bestbuy told my friend who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that because he has the Infinity system that he would need a whole re-wire and that he wouldnt have to get an antenna adapter. Well all we had to do was hook up the remote to the factory remote wire and the car does need a antenna adapter. And BB also told my friend who has a Mustang w/ the Mach 460 that he would need a re-wire and all we had to do was get an scosche adapter from crutchfield and everything works fine.
AEM WAI
Bored TB
2.25" cat back
Thrush Glasspack
Magnaflow Street Series Muffler
SilverStar Low beams
SilverStar Fog Lights
Black Leather
Ion3 Rims
NX wet kit
OEM header
Prothane motor mounts
93 saturn sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
AudioFreak

Assuming you have a Chevy or Nissan, then YES you will want to rewire your Bose system. They do make adapters that run around 100 bucks or so for the Bose system but honestly just spend the extra money and get some aftermarket speakers and a quality rewire. The Bose adapters tend to go on the fritz and they really don't sound all that hot.

Now, the reason WHY you need the rewire:
Bose systems tend to have self amplified speakers. In addition if you were to bypass the amplifier these speakers are usually 1 or 2 ohms so the deck will constantly pop fuses (I can attest to this.. one of our other installers tried it in a Nissan Altima and the customer has come back to me personally 4 times in the past two weeks to replace his fuse on his radio).

So here's your solution:
See if you can obtain an adapter from Scosche, PAC, USA-Spec, etc., or do the right thing and pay for the rewire and the new speakers.

By the way the Mustang mach system SHOULD be rewired but can be bypassed nicely by splicing some RCAs into the speakers wires. The reason here is because the signal that needs to go to the factory amp needs to be a low signal and not a high like that of the normal speakers wires on the deck (a low signal would be an RCA signal for example). You can actually use this method and it will give you control over the front, rear, and subs. If you dont it comes out sounding like ass (I don't know about the Scosche adapter however... I haven't personally tried that one).

The Jeep Cherokee, if it wasn't 2003 or newer, shouldn't have needed an antenna adapter. The Infinity system in it sucks balls though.
AudioFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
PurdueGuy

...and if anyone ever tells you that you can't replace your late model LeSabre or Park Avenue head unit... believe them. I've heard some fun tales with that one!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
SirSteele

yea my sis 1995 jeep had the infinity and we had to rewire it after removing the stock amp. wasnt that hard tho, then next week i got her all new speakers and amps so it was good for when it was stock.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
93 saturn sl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreak

By the way the Mustang mach system SHOULD be rewired but can be bypassed nicely by splicing some RCAs into the speakers wires. The reason here is because the signal that needs to go to the factory amp needs to be a low signal and not a high like that of the normal speakers wires on the deck (a low signal would be an RCA signal for example). You can actually use this method and it will give you control over the front, rear, and subs. If you dont it comes out sounding like butt (I don't know about the Scosche adapter however... I haven't personally tried that one).

The Jeep Cherokee, if it wasn't 2003 or newer, shouldn't have needed an antenna adapter. The Infinity system in it sucks balls though.
Well the Mustang actually sounds fine with the adapter. And the Jeep is a 2003 I thought that for the stock system that it did sound pretty good.
AEM WAI
Bored TB
2.25" cat back
Thrush Glasspack
SilverStar Low beams
SilverStar Fog Lights
Black Leather
Ion3 Rims
NX wet kit
OEM header
Prothane motor mounts
Old 02-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
AudioFreak

It sounds OK.. give it 3 years and half the speakers will blow. The Chrysler Infinity speakers are notorious for blowing.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
93 saturn sl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFreak
It sounds OK.. give it 3 years and half the speakers will blow.
Are you talking about the Mustang? Or did this go along with the Infinity statement?
AEM WAI
Bored TB
2.25" cat back
Thrush Glasspack
SilverStar Low beams
SilverStar Fog Lights
Black Leather
Ion3 Rims
NX wet kit
OEM header
Prothane motor mounts
Old 02-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
AudioFreak

Yeah the entire post was all in reference to the same statement.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
lsummers

Default Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill View Post
a friend of mine wants 2 get an aftermarket HU put in his car in place of his bose hu which wont play cds anymore but he says when he took it to best buy they told him that the only way the could put in an aftermarket hu would be to re-wire the and put in all new speakers because u cant use bose speakers with another hu is this true or did they just tell him some bull to get him to spend some more money
I just installed a HU made by Astrium in my 08 Vue. True plug and play. 10 minute install. Has 3 wiring harnesses, 2 for use with Bose equipped Vues And the 3rd for the standard set up. You will not cut or crimp a single wire.
Also has GPS, DVD, CD, TV, SAT, CAMERAS, TPMS etc.
lsummers is offline   Reply With Quote