Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 05-29-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
sar1372

Default The right way to unclog the sunroof drains.

I'm not sure if anyone else has figured this out, but if not here goes:

Last summer i had a leaking sunroof and did what everyone recomends: Take the headliner down and blow air into the tubes. Well this worked alright and the drains weren't clogged. Water went through them but not very fast. Lately i noticed it was leaking again. It was so bad that my passenger floor was a complete puddle. I decided to pour water down by where they drain and there was no water draining at all on the passenger side, while the drivers side was just slowly dripping. I didn't want to drop the headliner again so i ended up searching for the bottom of the hoses and found them. I unclogged them put them back in and the water flows out beautifully. Heres a small how to with a 96 sl2, i assume most other saturns will be similiar:

This is passenger side, drivers side is the same way.
1. Remove the kick panel. It just snaps into place with metal clips so all you need to do is pop it out just like the a-pillars.

2. Behind the the kick panel is large rubber graumet . Peel them back far enough so you can reach your hand into the hole. When you peel them back you will be able to see the rubber hose.

3. Grab the base of the hose and it should pop right out. At the end of the hose is a rubber piece. Pull that off and thoroughly clean it out. Mine was completely clogged. You can see why it gets clogged since their are only 3 small slits for the water to drain out of.

4. Put everything back together, and test it all to make sure it works. When i was done, the water poured out from underneath the car.

Overall this was not only more effective then blowwing the hoses out, but it was much easier and only took a fraction of the time. I haven't had a chance to find the rear hoses yet. I believe you might have to take the back seat out to access them.

If anyone wants i can take pictures of what i explained above.

Steve

sar1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
PurdueGuy

If you could get some pictures, and insert them into what you typed, we could put this in the how-to section.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
sar1372

Heres a better how to with pictures:

This is the passenger side of a 96 sl2. Driver side is the same exact thing and other saturn models may be similiar.

The goal here is to gain access to the bottom of the two front sunroof drains to completely unclog them. This method is more effective, easier, and saves alot of time compared to removing the sunroof. And you don't need any tools at all.

1. Remove the kick panels. They just snap into place. To remove them pull them straight outwards to pop them out.
Kick panel:

Metal clips that hold the kick panel on:

2. Remove the rubber graumet that is behind the kick enough to get your hand into the hole. When you remove the graumet you should be able to see the rubber hose. On the drivers side their is a wiring harness connector that plugs into the graumet. You can just pull it off the graumet and move it out of you way.
The graumet:

Rubber Hose:

3. Grab the base of the hose and pop it out. At the bottom of the hose is another rubber piece. It slides right off of the hose. This is the piece that needs to be cleaned.
Hose and drain:

Clean this piece out:

4. Thats it. Put everything back together, repeat on the otherside and your done. I took an air hose and blew out the hose from the bottom while i was at it. The problem is at the drain itself, but i figured it couldn't hurt to blow it out real quick.
sar1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
PurdueGuy

Nice write-up! It'll soon be in the how-to section.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
alipper
Banned

Default Rear sunroof drains

The rear sunroof drains are above the rear wheel well splash guards.

You have to remove the splash guard (about 9 of the pop-out body panel clips).
Also, the trim above the rear door (4 torx screws)
Finally, loosen the rear quarter panel (not nearly as big a deal as it sounds like. To do this, remove the rear tail light (2 torx screws on the trunk side of it. Open the trunk to expose them). Next, 2 bolts behind the tail light. One more bolt next to the trunk hinge. Two torx screws in the area where the rear door closes. These are covered with rubber grommets that have small holes in the center. If you look carefully, you'll see they are actually torx screws. Just put your torx wrench in the hole and the grommet comes out with the torx bolt.

You don't need to remove the whole quarter panel, just have it loose. You'll see a plastic cover just at the base of the door trim (where it contacts the quarter panel. Pry it off. You can see the hose that goes to the sunroof drain grommet. You can reach the bottom of it through the wheel well by finding the rectangular recess that it is in.

I just tugged on the hose to pop the grommet and hose end out so I could clean debris. Saturn also recommends extending the side slits all the way through the bottom with a razor blade to let it drain better. Once it's clean and cut, pop the grommet back in (one hand in the top, and one from the bottom helped.

Then, put it all back together. Don't forget to put the cover back on the hose access hole. Also, align the quarter panel by tightening the bolts on the marks that show their original location in the holes 9they are elongated holes). By the way, not all the three quarter panel bolts were the same on my 2000 SL2. The one with the collar wan the lower one.

BTW, there's a good video on saturn quarter panel removal on youtube by a guy named "richpin" at

Good luck!

Al
alipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Dan400Man
Banned

For reference, Steve's write up and pictures are spot-on for a '97 SL2. I did this tonight. Could not believe the junk I emptied from the slotted "cap". Well, actually, I couldn't believe that someone in GM engineering failed to see that this was a shoddy design and prone to clogging.

Hope it rains tomorrow so I can see if it works!

Last edited by Dan400Man; 04-05-2011 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: corrected my Saturn model
Dan400Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
caddy1
Banned

Talking Thanks!

This was so easy to follow, I was able to do this myself, even though I am mechanically illiterate!
caddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Dan400Man
Banned

In case this helps future noobs:

Kick panels: The metal clip at top of both panels are a b*tch to get off the frame. The one on the driver's side cracked the panel.

Rubber Graumet: This was a PITA to pull off the frame.

Drain tube: I swear, great mechanics must have hands that are small, yet strong. My hands are by no means big, but it was difficult to find the right body contortion to allow my hand to get in and have enough leverage to pull the tube out of the frame that holds it in place. (Even more fun is getting it back in.)

Drain "piece": (The thing at the end of the tube that I cleaned nasty junk out of.) As I mentioned in my last post last month, it seems to be an extremely poor design, and regular cleaning MUST be considered a regular maintenance item. I think mine were suffering from rubber rot, probably from the fact that it rarely had the chance to dry out. The tip on one of them actually came off as I was cleaning it out; probably lost about 1/16" of the bottom. I'm thinking that this might actually be a good thing, and keep it from clogging up; trying to figure out if I want to do it to the other one, but having to go through all of the aforementioned rigamarole puts it low on my to-do list.

Now that it's finally feeling like spring around here, I might actually check out the REAR drains. (Thanks to alipper for his post.) Then, I hope to figure out how to replace the roof fabric, which was ruined by the water that couldn't drain. I think there's a how-to somewhere on that as well, but I couldn't find it just now. Anyone know?
Dan400Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
john doe

richpin is the man .he makes everything look easy and take under 10 minutes.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
jperfet85
Banned

Default Had to register just to say thanks

I just bought my car from a friend & apparently the "sunroof" has been leaking for a while b/c the entire top liner has water damage & is in need of replacing. I seen the water actually dripping into the floor from the roof, by the door / window. I did some research, found the hose, but did not know there was a "plug" that the hose went into until I found this page! I just cleaned out both plugs from driver & passenger side (which were gross btw). Its going to rain tomorrow, so I am excited to see if I actually FIXED the leak!! I'll come back & let everyone know if it works or not. The "how to" pictures were super helpful. Thanks so much for creating this thread!!
jperfet85 is offline   Reply With Quote