Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 12-22-2002, 12:33 AM   #1
Filo
Banned

Default SES Light - Error Code P0404

The SES light on my 1997 Saturn SL1 (83K miles) has been turning "on" and "off" intermittently (not flashing) over the last two months. I have not noticed any engine performance-related issues with the vehicle during this period of time (i.e. engine performance seems to be the same whether the SES light is "on" or "off"). I obtained a fault code P0404 ("...PCM has determined that the control circuit for the exhaust gas recirculation system is out of range for the current engine operating conditions") from my local Autozone.

I have two questions for anyone kind enough to help...

1) What does this fault code mean? Has anyone else had this fault code and, if so, would you recommend, or did your vehicle require, service work?

2) Would there be any benefit to having a Saturn dealer further inspect/troubleshoot this vehicle for this fault code at this time (should the EGR unit be physically inspected)?

Thanks for your help!

Filo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 12:43 AM   #2
wolfman

Wow, computer speak, don't you just love it? What I believe is happening is either your EGR valve (electronically operated) has developed a junk related intermitant stick, the EGR valve's step motor itself is starting to fail, or you have a loose/dirty connection at the EGR valve or between it and the PCM somewhere. Removing and cleaning the EGR's pintle and shaft is a good place to start, along with the EGR port on the engine. If this does not correct the problem, replacing the EGR valve itself may be the only solution. You may want to do this sooner rather than later. Faulty EGR operation causes increased amounts of NOX reaching the catalythic convertor and "can" shorten it's life if left too long. (If you decide to replace the EGR valve, it's a very DIY project, but a new valve is expensive...consider getting a used low mileage valve from the doughnut man) I will add that it IS possible for a faulty ECTS (engine coolant temp. sensor) to be the root cause of this light as the PCM may think the engine is actually hotter/cooler than it is, but since you have no other driveability issues, I tend to doubt it's the ECTS.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
Joeybagodonuts

wolfs right, and to add it may be the egr solenoid, either way,dont give saturn 100+ bucks for a new one, I have egrs from engines that were either really low mileage and some brand new from cars that have had them replaced, 35.00 for the electronic egr with a full year warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VIVE BENE, SPESSO L'AMORE,DIRISATA MOLTO
"live well, love much, laugh often"
SATURNSPOT.COM ADMINSTRATION
Joeybagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:56 AM   #4
wolfman

JOEY! Talk about me slipping....97' LINEAR EGR valve no solenoid.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #5
Joeybagodonuts

lol, what can i say? whoops! the old brain aint what it used to be!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VIVE BENE, SPESSO L'AMORE,DIRISATA MOLTO
"live well, love much, laugh often"
SATURNSPOT.COM ADMINSTRATION
Joeybagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
Filo
Banned

Thanks for your help...
Filo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 03:01 AM   #7
Wintermute
Banned

Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast (Somewhere in the 10th Level of Hell)

Guys,
My SES Light is doing the same thing, bit it only does it when it's cold outside. It'll stay on for a few minutes, then go out... Any takers?

Josh
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:48 PM   #8
Ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute
Guys,
My SES Light is doing the same thing, bit it only does it when it's cold outside. It'll stay on for a few minutes, then go out... Any takers?

Josh

Year? Engine? Have you gotten any codes if you can?
Ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
70ssbob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybagodonuts View Post
it may be the egr solenoid.
On this year The EGR VALVE is the solenoid- it's operated electrically.
70ssbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ssbob View Post
On this year The EGR VALVE is the solenoid- it's operated electrically.
Wow.
I think that this is the record for an old thread dig up. Seven years and a few days.