Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Astra - New for 2008

Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 AM   #1

Default Saturn Astra

Hey what do you guys think about this? I owned a Saturn in the 90s and, to be honest, had a few problems with it. The engine was recalled at one point, and they replaced the top part of the engine, but not the bottom, so after that the thing drank about a quart of oil a week. Anyway, I've read that Saturn is revamping its entire lineup and is adding the Opel Astra, renaming it the Saturn Astra. I think it's a good idea. What do you think? You can read more here: http://www.cargurus.com/blog/2006/12...o-join-lineup/

Old 12-13-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
PurdueGuy

Yup, the Astra replaces the Saturn Ion. The Ion ends production in late March, and the Astra arrives in the fall sometime. The engine options have not been determined yet, but there are rumors of a fuel-sipping base engine, and mid and upper level turbo'd engines, with the top engine having 230+ hp. Not sure yet what options will be available - the Opel has a lot of very neat options, including AWD and a panoramic windshield.

I think this is a great car for Saturn, but hope to see the production moved to the US when the model is redesigned, which is scheduled within the next 2 or 3 years, IIRC. For now, the Astra is being built in Belgium and imported. They're only planning to bring about 40k Astras over, at least for the first year, and only in 3 and 5 door (hatchback) models.

I can't help but sigh, though, as Saturn (the brand made to show that the US can build a competitive small car) is getting their next small car imported. Shame, even for such a nice product.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
trick94sl2

Yay for imported GM products.
trick94sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
SouthPole1989

actully it is not that bad, because how many parts on your car do you find made in mexico on it
SouthPole1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
bobolicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPole1989
actully it is not that bad, because how many parts on your car do you find made in mexico on it
how many parts on your car make ANY kind of noise..?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
SouthPole1989

too many to count
SouthPole1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
trick94sl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPole1989
I was talking about the Astra. The Aura is alright. There are very few mass produced cars that do not have something from mexico on them.
trick94sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
atchley

Default Pretty good move actually!

Positives are that it doesn't share any of the other domestic model platforms (making it "different" once again), the Astra is manufactured worldwide under different GM logos (which leads to more aftermarket parts and performance mods), it is solidly designed and superior to current US models in its' category, it's used in rally and street racing worldwide (giving to some performance heritage), it's coming to us out of its' 'infancy' (so it should have fewer flaws out of the gate) and it exceeds the economy rating of the current ION.

My wish list for it, is as follows:

1. Bring the full performance versions over (and the convertible!) A guy from the local SCCA brought a Vauxhall Astra VXR back with him from Ireland, and it kicks the Honda/Acura V-tec's and VW GTI's butts on a regular basis on the tarmac (beating the ION redlines, Cobalt SS, SC2s even worse.)

2. Give it the plastic body panels (save some weight, dent resistance, nostalgia.)

3. Leave the manufacturing facility in Tennessee, instead of moving it Ohio as proposed (once again, nostalgia.)

I feel that, overall, it's a genius move.
atchley is offline   Reply With Quote