Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Products

Old 01-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Whelan

Default 9006 HIR Toshiba Bulbs!

I have been researching this for the past two days on and off. I heard of HIR bulbs from GE, the company was approached by John Deere to make a bulb that produces more light output but without the added wattage. They use a special coating on the bulb to reflect Infrared light from the glass back to the filament, making it burn brighter w/o using extra wattage. The result is a bulb that produces way more light 40% and no glare effect. A standard Halogen bulb produces approximately 1000 Lumens, the HIR is rated at over 1700!

I also found that these bulbs were first on the scene in 1996 when they came out by GE. They were at the SEMA show and were originally found on the Dodge Viper. GE eventually sold the patent to Toshiba and they manufacture them mainly from China now.

They are standard bulbs that have a more rounded look to the glass, but fit all the same.

I personally have been using Silverstars for over two years now, both in my Civic when I had it, and now in my Matrix. But it never fails with the Silverstars, that they tend to burn out after only 3 months. I am careful to put them in and use a cloth each time. After researching this I noticed that the Silverstar lifespan was not very long in terms of hours compared to standard OEM halogens.

So again, I researched and looking around brought me to a few sites that I listed below, one is very informative as to HIRs and their specs. It also allows for you to order from this person directly or through Ebay for $26.95 per bulb. That is essentially the price of a Silverstar right now ($19.99) and I did not feel like cashing $60 for bulbs again. But I cannot stand OEM, and do not want deep blue crap bulbs.

Ok, now for the fun part. Your local John Deere dealer stocks these HIR bulbs for $9-12 a piece. So for less than the price of ONE bulb on Ebay, you can get a set of two. The only drawback is that JD only sells them for low beam. But I ordered a pair through my local dealer and will be installing this week. They last longer than a Halogen or Silverstar and produce a lot more light.

Information site with their $26.95 ordering price
http://hirheadlights.com/

John Deere parts site (make an account before using, its free, no ad)
http://jdparts.com

Here is the Toshiba page regarding the product
http://www.islands.ne.jp/harison/pro/head/index_e.html

Be sure when ordering from JDparts.com that you search for the product by part# which is AH211917. Please also note that this is for 9006 Low Beam Only! If you want high beam applications you need to order from the first linked site. Also, note that the 9012 bulb may look very similar to a 9006. But it is different in one aspect (hence it is called a 9012), one tab on the base is slightly larger than the others. This means that you do have to trim it slightly to make it fit into a stock housing. The plastic is soft enough where a simple pair of nail clippers can do the job in a few moments. After that, enjoy! I will post pics this week.

Any other questions or information requests, please write me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
PurdueGuy

look forward to hearing back on the results you get.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Whelan

and just a side note, I hope Project is still lookin around, lol

I AM STILL THE LIGHTING KING!!

Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
scottyr94
Banned

Eh, I will stick with my HIDs.
scottyr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
RabidRat06

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr94
Eh, I will stick with my HIDs.
lol, i would too if i paid that much for them, i would get the HID setup but they cost a lot, and it was either those or the rotors, so i decided to go with the rotors this time. but pending the results it might not be a bad alternative to the HID

RabidRat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
Whelan

Well according to what I have read online they are pretty much the top of the line when it comes to performance of a standard bulb. So it's pretty much the step below an HID.

Story goes that GE was contracted by John Deere to produce a bulb with 80% the output of an HID but 20% of the cost and used standard wattage and size.

I confirmed my order with JD today and will have them either tomorrow or Thursday! Plenty of pics.

Here are a few comparo's I found from the Corvette forum:
Standard

HIR

Standard

HIR

Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
PurdueGuy

pretty noticeable difference! Look forward to your personal pix, though.
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
E-DUBB

HIDs ftw!!! Luminics bulbs are pretty good too.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
93 saturn sl2

Make sure to post pics!!

My sliverstars are nice, but there not bright enough. If they can match the color of my Silverstar foglights somewhat I may consider getting a pair.
AEM WAI
Bored TB
2.25" cat back
Thrush Glasspack
Magnaflow Street Series Muffler
SilverStar Low beams
SilverStar Fog Lights
Black Leather
Ion3 Rims
NX wet kit
OEM header
Prothane motor mounts
93 saturn sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:57 AM   #10
Whelan

well I already have silverstars in my fogs. Good thing about the Matrix is the fog lamps and low beams both use a 9006 bulb. If these work better I will buy a set for my fogs as well.

I will post the pics, JD is on backorder so it is taking longer than expected.