Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #21
jesster2003
Banned

I have an 03 Ion and the trunk leaks on the driver's side. I checked all the gaskets and they're fine. I found a little trail coming from the wheel well. I guess it must not be sealed well enough. Can I buy that black sealent/epoxy whatever it is somewhere?

jesster2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
valzz

Default Leaking Trunk Mystery Solved...at least for my 97 SC1

All,

Here's my story of several years of having a leaky Trunk and fender wells filling up with water after a rain or car wash on my 97 SC1, which does not have a sunroof.

I ended up putting silicone at the farthest point at the bottom corner of the window glass, where the body panel doesn't have much sealant (I had to use Richpin's YouTube video to remove the rear quarter panels over a couple of different weekends). I thought that would fix the problem, and it did indeed prevent some water from getting through. But I still had some leaking going on.

So, after another weekend of tinkering, I finally figured out the water was coming in from higher up on the car, at the black rubber trim that runs from the bottom point of the rear window, up over the fixed backseat window, and over the main door window of the vehichle. This rubber trim is attached to the body by plastic grommets, that have screws in the middle of them. There are about 5 or 6 of these the entire length of this strip. These plastic grommets, over time, become brittle and obtain cracks, thus allowing water to get in and run down the top edges (from the inside of the body) to the trunk . I had to pull this entire seal off, including removing the screw for each grommet and slightly lifting it out of it's hole, to bathe the bottom, sides and top (where the screw is inserted) with silicone until it overflowed.
Then placed the seal strips back on, and tighten the screw. After allowing to dry, the problem was fixed.

No more water in the trunk!

I've been through several rains and car washes over the past several months and not a drop of water.

Hope this helps somebody, the way this site has helped me. I've got a couple of pics if somebody has some webspace to to store them so I can link to them from this post.

P.S.
By the way, this problem may explain why some people have leaks inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. In my case, I only repaired (silicone sealed) the grommets from about the middle of the long seal strip, back towards the trunk, since my leaking was occuring in the trunk.

It may be that some Saturn's have cracked grommets on the front part of this trim seal stip, that are leaking and allowing water to flow forward into the fronts seat areas.

Just and idea that might explain why the cars seem to leak in different places.

Be Blessed!

Last edited by valzz; 02-01-2009 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: grammar and content, sentence flow.
valzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #23
valzz

Default The pics are now attached.

First pic is of the infamous leaking area where the body sections overlap, but didn't get sealed well. But sealing this one didn't stop all the leaking.

The second pic shows a wider view of the entire area, and allows you to see a glimpse of the first of several white, plastic inserts that become brittle, then crack, and allow water to flow in from the top edge of the car. There are about 5-7 or so of these things all along the top edge of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewOlympus 011.jpg (298.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg NewOlympus 020.jpg (298.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #24
OldSaturnGuy
Banned

I had a very bad leak located exactly in the same place as indicated in the pic posted by PurdueGuy. I sealed that with the RV Silicon as recomended, which stopped most of the leaking, but still have a leak. I suspect the screws/gromlets securing the side window trim (which is covered by a hard plastic trim cover). How do you remove the trim cover screws, that are above the rear side windows, without damaging the window or trim cover? Do I have to remove the window to get access to those screws?
OldSaturnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #25
OldSaturnGuy
Banned

To remove the rubber trim 'cover' above the rear side window, how did you get to the screws without damaging anything? Did you have to remove the rear side window? Or did you just force the screw driver between the trim cover and rear side window?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 AM   #26
valzz

OldSaturnGuy,

I did the latter " ... just force the screw driver between the trim cover and rear side window". It was actually slow, methodical, tedious work as you will see due to the angle at which you have to place the screw driver and at the same time pushing against the trim cover. I would try and insert some small plastic trim pullers between the trim and window close to the point I was working to keep some separation to allow me to see better while I was trying to extract each screw. As I recall, I first thought the trim was suppose to be pulled up and snapped out of the plastic grommets, before I figured out it was attached to the grommets via screws. I actually slightly bent the trim close to the lower area by the back window and had a little trouble getting the trim to lay down flat upon re-assembly.

But all of time spent was well worth it now that I never have to worry about rain filling the back of the trunk and deal with having to dry it out and clean up the mold/mildew.

One other thing. I don't believe I placed silicone on every screw all the way across the trim. I left the first 1 or 2 (or maybe three) towards the front of the car alone.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Valzz
Old 06-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #27
OldSaturnGuy
Banned

Default Will try that next week....

Thanks Valzz -- I will try that next week. Thanks allot for responding.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #28
saturn_gal
Banned

Default 2001 SC1 Trunk Leak

I also have a trunk leak on both sides of the car. My father and I located the leak, then tried to remove the panels so we could reseal it. Unfortunately we couldn't get the panels off. It is at the body shop being repaired as we speak, however the manager said the panels are bolted and also welded on, which will likely cost more than he quoted. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I live in a small town and don't have many options for this kind of work... but this shop has a reputation. Are the panels both bolted and welded on?? Let me know and thanks!
saturn_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #29
OldSaturnGuy
Banned

The panel below the floor board must first be removed 'before' you can remove the rear side panel. To remove the floor board panels, they must be unbolted and then 'slid forward' about a half inch and then they will come off. The exterior panels are plastic and bolt on... that's it! (the exterior plastic panels are NOT welded to anything!). Once you get the floor panel and then the rear panel off (in that order), remove the old caulking (it will be a black, hard 'plastic' like bead) that covers the weld seam of the 'metal' body panels. There's a 99% chance that's where your trunk is leaking from. I used a RV silicone caulk to replace the old 'bead' that covers the metal panel welds. It was water tight since I did this a few years ago but recently began leaking (a little) again during strong, high wind, thunder storms (but the regular rain storms don't cause any leaking). I would ask the auto-shop manager to show you where the plastic-panels are welded on -- that's ridiculous - since when do they weld plastic panels to metal (*#$%* ???).

Last edited by OldSaturnGuy; 08-10-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #30
sponger246
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valzz View Post
First pic is of the infamous leaking area where the body sections overlap, but didn't get sealed well. But sealing this one didn't stop all the leaking.

The second pic shows a wider view of the entire area, and allows you to see a glimpse of the first of several white, plastic inserts that become brittle, then crack, and allow water to flow in from the top edge of the car. There are about 5-7 or so of these things all along the top edge of the car.
I know this is an old thread but hopefully you are still around. Valzz, I can not really tell what you are talking about. I don't see the white inserts.
sponger246 is offline   Reply With Quote