Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
wscreate

Default 94 SC2 -- Is my car running too warm?

1994 Saturn SC2
1.9L DOHC
AT -- 161,000 miles

In the past few weeks, I have replaced a coolant temp sensor, the cam cover gasket, new spark plugs and wires, new brake pads and rotors on all 4, new serpentine belt and I replaced the water pump and thermostat.

Finally, today, I was actually able to drive the car into town for the first time (I just inherited this car from my daughter 3 weeks ago and haven't driven it except for test driving at various times). Overall, I was impressed at the performance. The car has enough kick left in the motor to move well in and out of traffic. The AC blows cold air and the ride was relatively smooth for an older car.

One problem, or potential problem, the temp gauge moved over to 3/4 temp several times throughout my 1 1/2 hour drive into and out of town. The temperature would stick around 1/2 or below until I would get moving at 40 mph or greater for over a minute or more. Then, that's when the temp gauge would creep up to 3/4. As soon I would stop at a light for a few minutes, the temp would go back down. I was running the AC during most of the drive. The fan seems to be working. The outside air temp was about 90 degrees F.

I am wondering if this is normal for my year Saturn or should I start thinking about a new radiator or other possible sources of a problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
the Shaolin UWP

Do you still have the front air deflector under the front bumper?
14.526 at 98.08 on the juice
Old 05-05-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
PurdueGuy

you say you had the AC on, so the fan should've already been on. Did you replace both of the temperature sensors, or just the 2 wire one? You have two - one that tells the compy your engine coolant temp, and one that tells the gauge. Both can go bad. Might be that it's not really getting that hot, but your gauge temp sensor is bad?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
wscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Shaolin UWP
Do you still have the front air deflector under the front bumper?
No.. previous owner (daughter) hit curb, brushed front end underneath.... front air deflector went bye-bye. The interesting thing is, the gauge rises to 3/4 at speeds over 40. But, the gauge goes down quickly when at low speeds or idle. For example... I took the picture above about 2 minutes before I turned into my neighborhood. Once I turn into my neighborhood, it takes me about 2 minutes to get to my house. By the time I reached my house, the temp gauge was back down (almost) to 1/2. The temperature movement seems very quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:28 AM   #5
wscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
you say you had the AC on, so the fan should've already been on. Did you replace both of the temperature sensors, or just the 2 wire one? You have two - one that tells the compy your engine coolant temp, and one that tells the gauge. Both can go bad. Might be that it's not really getting that hot, but your gauge temp sensor is bad?
I replaced the sensor that reports to the PCM (located lower on the block). I considered changing the other sensor that reports to the gauge. I did remove the gauge sensor and checked the tip. It looked okay... no cracks. Maybe I should just replace it. It's only about $15 USD.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 AM   #6
wscreate

Hmmmmm.... Just realized something. When I put the car back together after replacing the water pump, I forgot to re-install the plastic splash guard in the passenger side wheel well. I doubt that would cause a problem as I have described, but thought I would mention it. I will put it back on as soon as my knuckles heal from the beating they took during the water pump removal.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Killer Kopec

put the air dam back on... try that as well. had a 95 sl that did that. well a fence took the air dam off but since it was gone we had a similar problem.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
wscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kopec
put the air dam back on... try that as well. had a 95 sl that did that. well a fence took the air dam off but since it was gone we had a similar problem.
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, here is a pic of the lower part of my bumper. The piece that is missing is black. I assume the missing black piece is the air dam?!

Old 05-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
the Shaolin UWP

Yessir.
14.526 at 98.08 on the juice
Old 05-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
wscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Shaolin UWP
Yessir.
Thanks. Will try the obvious first (replace air dam) and then go from there.

I have been thinking about getting a front bumper off of a 95 SC2. I suppose I could expedite that this week if the local salvage yard has one in stock. The current bumper looks a bit deformed and ripped underneath anyway.

Closed Thread