Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 10-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
2003TL-S
Banned

Default Shift lock issue...

Hoping for a little help. My fiance has a 98 Saturn SL2 with ~118,000, the thing runs great. What is happening lately is that when it starts getting colder out and after sitting over night, the car starts perfectly but she cannot shift out of park into gear. You can press on the brake, and try it, I have pumped the brake a few times then tried to shift out of park. Nothing works. You just have to let the car run for about a minute or two and then it lets you shift out of park. The car shifts fine after that, no issues. To me this sounds like an issue with the shift lock control system? I don't have much experience with saturns but am mechanically inclined when it comes to cars. Hopefully its just a connector lose, or something to that effect.

thanks

--------------------------------
2003 ABP Acura TL-S i/h/e/p
Intake Resonator removed
HPC coated XS Power Headers
UR Crank Pulley
Apexi WSII Catback Exhaust

2003TL-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

Remove the center console and have a look at the shift interlock solenoid on the side of the shifter. What you want to check is to see if it is binding at all when it should be releasing. Turn the ignition on with the car in park and foot off of the brake. Then press the brake pedal and see if the solenoid releases freely. It should not bind at all. I have seen a few where it seems to not release right away but when given a little push it frees up and works well until the car is shut down again.
They are easy to replace and shold not cost an arm and a leg.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
bdonn125
Banned

My wife's 2002 Saturn SL2 is having the same exact problem. I have tried to call our local O'Rilley Auto Parts, Autozone and Pepboys and none of them carry the part. I have also tried to find it online. Any suggestions where I can buy a replacement?

My email is Running12@aol.com
bdonn125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

Try www.getsaturnparts.com.

Failing that your local saturn dealer if you still have one. If not then a GM dealer that has taken over Saturn servicing. If not that then a wrecking yard.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #5
trapez

Hi all im new here!
I know this is an old thread. I have same issue. Instead of removing the center console, is it ok to simple pop up the center piece of the console (cup holder area) This will allow to see partial of the shift interlock solenoid. From there you can then pry / pop off the back end of the shift interlock solenoid and just let it drop down. Even though its still connected up front. Im thinking this will prevent the solenoid from doing its job, as though its not completely disconnected. This is for an emergency situation when your stuck with no tools in the middle of no where.

TIA
trapez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
derfderf

for $40 at rockauto (if I looked up the right part), why not just fix it?

Being shiftable out of park w out the key (car off) is dangerous at best, because if the car gets inadvertently knocked into neutral with no keys, you can not steer it past where the steering wheel locks and you of course have the leftovers of power brake pressure.

Equally important, the switch probably also blocks you from starting in gear by accident. Without that safety feature, someone could start it in gear and basically launch into whatever's right in front of them --- like a car in the grocery store lot. Not good.

My 2 cents anyway

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
trapez

I am looking for a emergency solution when it comes. Im working in Oahu living out of an apt with no tools, got the car off craiglist 4 weeks ago. I was hour late for work messing with the shifter with only my hands. Will have to buy a cheap tool set this week. You made some good points but I may have to resort to a quick disconnect as described, may take weeks to find get the part here

But im not sure about if disconnected will allow to move freely out of gear, its just a dead locking device from Park, my guess.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
derfderf

found this on the world wide web, where some information is actually true

1. Turn the ignition key to the ACC position.
  2. Apply the regular brakes.
  3. Shift to N (Neutral). The vehicle may now be operated normally
Can you verify if it works? I'll keep digging

Here's a pic of it and overall directions for removal and reinsallation:

REMOVAL
  1. Disable the SIR System.
  2. Remove console.
  3. Disconnect connector from BTSI solenoid.
  4. Using a screw driver, disconnect plastic retainers at solenoid base and at the park lock lever.
  5. Remove solenoid from shifter assembly.
INSTALLATION
  1. Install solenoid into shifter assembly. Connect plastic retainer at solenoid base and at the park lock lever.
  2. Connect BTSI connector.
  3. Verify operation. (Refer to "System Performance Test.").
  4. Install console.
  5. Enable the SIR System.
When key ON AND shifter in PARK, cannot shift out of park until foot hits brake pedal.This must trigger solenoid to OPEN(energize), retracting the ends of the two bars to permit free movement of the shifter.

That having been said, if you can disconnect the back end WITHOUT LOSING the retaining clip into the abyss below, it should serve your purposes as long as the end hanging down is not being drug over wires where it's free motion is interfered with.

Personally I would take 20min to take the console apart NOW while it's NOT an emergency and just remove the solenoid entirely until you can replace it. It's not that scary--just go slow and be careful to remember the light in the cupholder and under the lighter receptacle. Oh and the lighter receptacle is interesting but straightforward. Once you've removed and reinstalled the console once, it becomes child's play.

If it throws an SES light and that becomes relevant for inspection, etc, open the console, plug it back in and tape it to something. That should take care of the light

_________

And I was incorrect about starting in gear; there is a neutral start safety switch located down by the tranny. Sorry about that

95 SC2 ~235K +/running-- "All in the Family"

Last edited by derfderf; 08-28-2015 at 05:57 AM..
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
trapez

Thanks for all your help, I picked up a cheap $25 tool kit at Wal-mart here, will look into it over the weekend. But I would think disconnecting the battery and removing the airbag fuse would be good enough to disable/discharge the SIR. Not sure why it even has to be disable to begin with unless they think playing around in that area is going to trigger the bags somehow.