Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 01-07-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
sc2_ct

Default Nitrous Oxide FAQ

Here is a PDF file that I have written that should help with most of the questions that people commonly have about nitrous oxide. If your question isn't answered by the FAQ, then that is what this forum is for I suppose. If you see any problems with the FAQ, please email me at mattv_ct@hotmail.com to let me know.

http://www.domesticracingconcepts.co...FAQ_010703.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And before you ask, the bodykit is from:

sc2_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:00 AM   #2
sc2_ct

UPDATE:

This is something that I posted in another thread but that I think should be with the FAQ too. I want to clarify some of the information that I have it about the dry kits, since after re-reading it it sounds too much like I am trying to discourage their use.

Quote:
Originally posted by me:

There is nothing wrong with a dry kit on an engine designed for it (with return fuel system). I have opted for a wet-kit on my return-style (97 DOHC) engine though, because with a good nozzle and having it mounted correctly I can be sure of my ability to enrich my fuel mixture. I've looked a lot at the design of the engine and even though my car is considered a dry-manifold car, I feel that I will get sufficient atomization and with the nozzle mounted close to the TB a sufficiently low level of fuel "drop out" -- fuel particles falling out of the air/nitrous mix -- that I can easily avoid any problem with puddling. By setting a window switch to cut the n2o at 6200rpm and with the small ignition upgrades I am making I should also be able to avoid backfiring pretty easily. After re-reading the FAQ I do plan on changing it a bit in regards to the dry-manifold injected kits though since it does not get accross the point/purpose of the kit sufficiently. As a matter of fact I'm going to double-post this there so that I'll remember it when I finally get a chance to revise it.
Here is the thread that I am double-posting this from (this link starts you on Page 4 of the thread):

http://www.saturnspot.com/forum/view...=6307&start=36

Old 03-09-2003, 01:13 AM   #3
graniteguy

If I may add what may be the most important thing and I will quote directly from the NX instruction manual:

DO NOT LISTEN TO:
YOUR BUDDY!
YOUR BUDDY'S FRIEND!
THE LOCAL NITROUS GURU!
ANY ARTICLE IN ANY MAGAZINE!

That's the quote. On my kit, the nitrous dealer failed to sell me one component that would have blown my engine. period. NX and I am sure others have excellent tech lines and they know what they are doing. It didn't take them five seconds to look up my fuel pressure on my car and with the jetting I installed and give me a solution to what I consider a major screw up by my dealer. This is just a word of caution, because everyone has an opinion on how to apply, but it is different between dry, direct port, fuel rail, how much horsepower, etc, etc, etc.
graniteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
B-Pimpin

OR YOU CAN JUST NOT USE NITROUS
Old 05-12-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
sc2_ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Pimpin
OR YOU CAN JUST NOT USE NITROUS
You could do that, but then you wouldn't be able to see my taillights after a short burst unless you go turbo and want to get into some real science

Old 05-13-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
B-Pimpin

i will see your headlights in my rearview mirror and smoke comin from your hood from the engine you just blew

all motor....thats all you need.......TKT 22 will be ready for nitrous killin action in july
Old 05-13-2003, 04:01 PM   #7
sc2_ct

Hahaha, yet another person that thinks that nitrous will invarialbly destroy an engine. The facts however are quite contrary to that, and nitrous when used properly is much safer than a turbo or supercharger due to the facts A) nitrous is there only when you press the button, B) safety features such as fuel pressure, oil pressure and temperature switches allow the system to be shut down automatically before a problem can occur, C) nitrous cools the intake charge dramatically, reducing the chances of detonation as opposed to a turbo or supercharger which heat the intake charge dramatically, D) nitrous can be easily metered to function within the engines limits, E) wet kits supply the needed fuel automatically with the nitrous, thereby reducing the amount of fuel system upgrades needed. As a matter of fact, a good number of turbo and supercharger users use a small shot of nitrous oxide to cool down the cylinders to prevent detonation.

As with many things, if you take the time to study and make sure that you understand what you are doing then it is quite safe.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:50 PM   #8
B-Pimpin

thats great that its safe.....but that doesnt change the fact that it sucks. i mean i could drink some red bull and get all wired and run a mile and have that be faster then i normally run......but now i have a headache and need to lye down

nitrous was invented so hondas could keep up with the rest of the world!!!!

hehehehehe
Old 05-14-2003, 01:11 AM   #9
Estairiker

What about nitrous on a stock motor running 5 psi?

Estairiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:58 AM   #10
sc2_ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estairiker
What about nitrous on a stock motor running 5 psi?
Uh, let's think about that... ummm.... no! 5 psi is already getting pretty close to the limits of the engine. I know some people have run it up to 7 psi, but that doesn't usually turn out too well

Actually, now that I think about it, yes, you could do it. You could spray a 75-shot if you were to go in and prop open your waste gate