Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Products

Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
madmon

Default Gps

I have one for my phone, so if my phone doesnt flake out I know where I am going. I did wonder though, do most GPS units work for ever car, or will I need one specific for a Saturn?

madmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
live2drive

Default Not car specific

I had to do a bit of research to answer you as I was curious, too. I've checked with several sites and brands of GPS devices and none of them say they are brand specific. It was interesting to learn about the variety of devices available and how much more they can do besides giving directions.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
madmon

I am debating getting one or not. The one on the phone (a blackberry) works pretty good but the voice for it sounds horrible. I do find with direct travel but when I get into cities I get lost fairly quick, and most of the time I am like one street away from where I need to be. I think it would be a good idea for the up coming family trips we plan to take.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
perfectvue

I have never heard of a brand specific GPS, although it might depend on what you ca easily mount or install in your vehicle based on the dash. Depending on the unit it may give audio directions, visual directions using maps, or all of the above. Most can also give your speed, bearing, and altitude these days. However it is important to note that not all maps are up to date and may be out of date by several years (Google Earth is about 4yrs behind for my home) so if you live in a rapidly developing area it may not be helpful.
perfectvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Spoot

There are not brand specific devices, unless perhaps the manufacturer has a customised one installed. They can even be hand held and used for hiking and so on, the only thing you would need to consider for your car is the way it is mounted.

Depending on the model that you buy, you will even have the choice of what voice it talks to you in, not just what language. They are really becoming quite advanced now, so I am sure you will find one that matches your needs.
Spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
epsilon

Default detachable GPS

GPS is really good when you're not familiar with the roads. but since I normally drive in the same area I really haven't needed to buy GPS. But once I buy my Saturn Outlook or Saturn Astra, I will probably get a Garmin or a Magellan to go with the new vehicle.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
madmon

I really need it for when I am off road trips and the such. I cant believe that when you live somewhere for 20 years then move, and come back to visit nothing looks the same anymore and you cant really go by landmarks. That is what is messing me up. The GPS for the blackberry is nice as it checks against traffic too, so I am hoping to look for something like that but with a more clear voice command.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
epsilon

My big issue with my GPS program is that it does not update construction or traffic. I have to rely on my own instincts and the news on the internet and the radio.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
madmon

The one for the blackberry works fairly well, it does traffic but I have yet to need it for anything construction wise too much here in town. I live between "town"/city and the country. This one is built into the phone I use and I'm having some issues trying to get more info on it. I am really looking for something that I can use on the car, since I don't know how long I will end up with this phone for.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
Aboyade

GPS is the going rage these days. I have a visitor from out-of-state who refuses to come unless his rental car has GPS. I have only had experience with his cars but it has been phenomenal in assisting us in maneuvering through Chicago. I've lived here ten years (this time around) and it's shown me pathways I didn't even know existed.
Aboyade is offline   Reply With Quote