Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > General Saturn Model Range Discussion > Bodywork/Interior Care & Repair

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
Spoot

Default Sun Damage

My car is starting to show signs of sun damage to the dash, mostly, but also the steering wheel a little. It's too late now to consider preventing it, though I can stop it getting worse with the use of shades.

But is there anything I can do to repair the damage? Or is it just too bad?

Spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
madmon

How bad has it gotten right now, is it just faded with the color or are you already having cracks in it? I know many that will go ahead and just get a sun screen for the car, but depending where you live sometimes they get extremely hot (I lived in AZ once and avg. summer temp there is 119F). I know some that will also get a mat to lay across the dash. This place has covers of all types, but it doesnt say specific if it will fit a certain type of auto, might be best to call and ask, they do have a lifetime warranty though.
madmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Spoot

The dashtopper looks really weird I have to say, but it just might help! I have never seen carpet on a dashboard.....

Anyway there are now a handful of tiny cracks. There will be no future sun exposure, but is there any way I can minimise the appearance of the small cracks? A fill in, polish or something.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
perfectvue

I recall seeing a vinyl repair kit on TV a couple times but I'm not sure how well it works. You could probably also fill them with a Goop product and wipe it flush before it sets. Might not be perfect but it would keep the cracks from getting filled with dust/dirt/etc.
perfectvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
live2drive

Default The kit from television works well

I don't know how it would do on a harder surface like a dash, but the kit works excellent on seats or other soft vinyls. I don't know if it would harden up enough for a dashboard though. I believe you can get a caulking type product specifically made for plastics that might do the trick. These are made so that they can be sanded and painted so you could at least get it smooth afterwards.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
Spoot

I guess if it came to that I could use an epoxy type resin potentially for this. It would be strong, could be painted, and sanded smooth. Ok, I need to think about how to move forward here. Thanks all.