Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Aura Green Line - hybrid

Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
Spoot

Default Hybrid Benefits

I hear a lot of talk about hybrids being better for the environment, but how big a difference does it make? What is the mileage for a car like this, and what are the overall emissions like?

And how does the performance of the car (or expected performance if no one drives one yet) compare to a none hybrid model? Is there a big trade off?

Spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
live2drive

Default Hybrid benefits

Hybrids still have a long way to go but even the current models can boost your mpg by up to 30% and reduce emissions by the same amount. Hybrids still cost more initially but you can often find some kind of tax rebate or credit to help offset this cost. I haven't actually owned a hybrid so can't comment on the performance from firsthand experience.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Born2Be
Banned

I plan to get one soon but like live2drive said they still have a long way to go! I can't wait until the day comes when hybrid cars are mainstream and not so expensive
Born2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
epsilon

If you buy a hybrid, you must do a lot of city driving. That is where the difference in gas mileage is. If you don't drive much and it is mainly highway driving, that does not justify the higher price in a hybrid. There are other ways to save the environment, such as recycling, using less electricity and water, car pooling when possible, etc.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
live2drive

Default That's true

Hybrids aren't going to be widespread until they become less expensive to purchase. Most people talk about helping the environment but are not willing to pay more in order to do it. Also, reliability needs to improve. I'm just glad that GM is attempting to improve on their current designs. Whether it's just to look good or not, as they improve more people will be willing to give them a try.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Spoot

What about the tax break that you get for buying a hybrid? Does that in any way help offset the higher cost? And just exactly how much more are you looking at paying for a hybrid compared to a normal model?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
madmon

Theres a tax break? Nice!

I have always heard that if you stomp on the gas then your not doing the car any justice and just sucking down more ick than needed. City driving is good, a friend of mine drives a Prix down in Flordia and all he does is run around town in it and saves a bundle. Im not sure the same would work for me here, I got country roads to deal with its not all stop and go for me.
madmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
Spoot

I've been looking into the tax break and it depends on what car you buy, what company it's from. The breaks are limited in number to, for instance the first 10,000 hybrids from a particular company (just a guess figure there) and consequently there is a very real chance that you will not qualify for one.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Aboyade

Yes, there is a tax-break for the hybrid but more important is the significant reduction in emissions. Hybrids appear to produce at least 70% less harmful gases and pollutants that the cars using gasoline. Utilizing its battery achieves such results. It is my understanding that hybrids come equipt with both battery and gasoline power sources, though, so highway driving would utilize the latter. With all that said, it would seem that the manufacturers interested in healing the planet would also be interested in healing our pockets from all the other opportunists taking advantage of our money on the planet. Sigh.
Aboyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
madmon

I would love to know how much in the long run this might help not only for the environment but also our wallets. I am seeing many commercials so far, but the price different amazes me compared to a non hybrid.
madmon is offline   Reply With Quote