Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
geoshanna

Default Grinding Noise

I just bought my son a 2002 SL-1. It's the 5 spped trans., 1.9L. There is a grinding noise coming from the driver's side front wheel area. It is a constant noise that doesn't start until your going over 25mph, and stops when you slow down below that. The brakes are fine and the car runs and drive very well except for the grinding noise. Any advice would be appreciated because I won't let him drive it until I know it's safe to drive.

Thanks
George

geoshanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
geoshanna

The noise actually sounds like it's coming from the transmission housing.

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
sw2cam

Best idea I can give you ................ take it to your nearest SATURN dealer for a look see.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
RC1488

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2cam View Post
Best idea I can give you ................ take it to your nearest SATURN dealer for a look see.
Or you can just burn your $$$$$$....same thing really

OP: Put your car up on jack stands and have an assistant get the car up to speed. See if you can narrow down the noise.

On the road:
Does the noise change with direction?
Does it happen when its ONLY in gear?

Also:
Check your tranny fluid level.

May want to check the diff pin:

check your brakes...you say they WORK fine, but it could be the wear sensors on your pads.

Last edited by RC1488; 01-07-2009 at 03:27 AM..
RC1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
nasonguy

Yeah, check the level. My Tranny was making a bit of a grinding/whirring noise at speed (and at idle, clutch up, when I revved it), check the fluid, and it wasn't below the fill mark.
Ran it for a while, no difference, added like a third of a quart of tranny fluid (fine, I give, it was marvel mystery oil), and it stopped. So even if it is a little low (mine was just about half way up the checkered part on the stick), add a little bit at a time and keep checking it after every few ounces.
nasonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
sw2cam

Great stuff
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
geoshanna

Ok,
Here is where I am so far with this issue.

I put the car up on jack stands and pulled the wheels off. Ran it in gear at idle and no noise. I put it in to a higher gear and brought it up past 25 mph and the noise came back. I check the fliud and the level was good, but it did need to be changed. (Blackist color) After the fluid change, same results.

When we drove it home from the dealer, we never got it over 45 mph to be safe. The other day, my step-son took it on the turnpike and got it up over 55 mph and noticed the noise lessened a bit.

Today we went for a state inspection and they found a front wheel bearing had alot of play in it, so it failed. So I'm having both bearings and spindles replaced on Saturday. So I'll know more when we pick it up.

My question is.....would I hear a noise from the Diff. case if the drive wheels are in a "Un-loaded" position? The half shafts are at a bad angle and there is no pressure pushing the shafts in to the differential housing. I've had experiences in the past with a clutch change on a front wheel drive car that it seemed the shafts weren't "fully" engaged unless it was on the ground. I've also had an experience where a wheel bearing didn't make any noise unless the was a load on it.

So that it where I am at this point. I'll let you know more after we pick the car up on Saturday afternoon. (After the Bruins game in Boston)

Thanks for all your help soo far.

George
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
RC1488

The differential pin would make the noise regardless of load on the tires.

The wheel bearings most likely wouldnt make noise if the is no load unless they are reallyy bad.

Black fluid makes me very suspicious. I would change it again to make sure you got as much of that old fluid out.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
geoshanna

It did turn out to be the righ front wheel bearing.!!!! I did have both front bearings replaced to make sure. The fluid has been changed and I will check it again in the spring to make sure it's OK.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Now to work on the sun roof that has a problem opening but not closing.

George