Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn ION

Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
Marcoe1
Banned

Default Coolant Message keeps coming on!!!!!

I recently added some water to my wife's Ion, the freeze protection was at -45 and a little on the low side. After I added water the stupid coolant message continues to come up on the dash. When she bought the car she didn't get an owners manual. So why does the coolant message keep coming on, is it because of the water? What kind of coolant is supposed to be in the system, I thought it was Dexcool or ELC. Is it that the little sensor in the bottom of the overflow tank go bad? If so where can you find the sensor or do you replace the whole overflow tank? Please help me as everytime it comes on she reminds me how I messed up her car.

Marcoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
jonnyrocket92

it most likly needs a new coolant bottle there is a sensor in there that monitors the level of the fluid, and often times they go bad, so it thinks that there is no or low coolant hense the light. the sensor is not serviceable. so. . .you must ither get e new one or go to a junk yard and try your luck there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

spoc pa prez.

ex-saturn mechanic.
jonnyrocket92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Ssicarman

As mentioned already most likely a bad level sensor. Before repalcing I would try removing the surge tank (coolant bottle) and try giving it as good cleaning.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
madbrad

Month old thread but I just saw it, this raises a question for me.
If the sensor is bad, then its failure at the same time as the adding of water is a pure coincidence.
If one throws away coincidence, that leaves the adding of water or something he may have unknowingly touched(did I knock a wire?) during the procedure as the cause. Could the changing of the electrolytic properties of the mixture(by adding water, therefor changing the coolant/water ratio) causes the sensor in the bottle not to see any coolant, because the mixture doesn't conduct the way it should? in any case, one should not just add water. One must keep the ratio as prescribed by Saturn. Just because you don't expect the car to encounter -45 doesn't mean there's not a good reason it's prescribed. Don't forget, adding water not only raises the freezing point, it lowers the boiling point too. I just want to know if it's enough to trick the sensor.
And when you add water you need distilled water so you don't put lime, minerals, clorine, flouride etc from tap water into the sytem where it can wreak havoc.

07 Impala SS
98 Grand Voyager LE
madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
sw2cam

I only put Canadian whiskey in my coolant bottle, thats all it's good for.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
madbrad

Lol Cc Ftl

07 Impala SS
98 Grand Voyager LE
madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Marcoe1
Banned

Default Coolant sensor

Dex Cool is sold at -45 premix which is why it is was so strong. You are right, adding water does Lower the boiling point and raise the freeze point. Which is why I added the water because the mix was too low. As far as tap water you correct there all so but softened water will not hurt as most of the minerals were taken out. Electrolytes have nothing to do with the sensor as it reads a voltage signal. I unplugged the sensor and stuck a piece of wire in the terminals. This completes the circuit and tricks the computer to thinking the tank is full, which it is, and now the Coolant message doesn't come on anymore. Now your thinking, how do I know how much coolant is in the car? Periodically open the hood like you should be doing anyway, so when you check to see how much oil is in the engine take a glance at the tank and add as needed. Plus when you are driving if you are running low on coolant your coolant temp will rise dramatically and then you should pull over and check under hood.
Marcoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Devec1

Mine has been coming on when I go up an incline but havent really looked at it yet.
So I think I just have a low level issue lol....

Madrad is exactly right on regarding the boiling point and freezing point.
Many times people dont realize what damage they may cause when just topping off with faucet water...
Devec1 is offline   Reply With Quote