Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
NewHampGirl
Banned

Default HELP!! I tried installing after market stereo and now my 1999 Saturn SL2 WONT CRANK!!

Let me start by saying....I have read lots of threads about "car not cranking" but none had to do with stereo install..It was very informative though, you guys definetly know what your talking about and pray you can help me in my time of need..

I just bought a used 1999 Saturn SL2, automatic, no radio in car, so I decided to install a stereo I had in the garage, I will explain in detail what I did so maybe someone knows what happened..

I cut the black ground wire from saturn harness and attached to my stereo, I heard some static from speakers so I knew I was on the right track, then I "stupidly" cut the rest of the wires from harness as there wasn't alot of room to do one wire at a time hook up without them all being loose..(( trust me after reading the threads I realize how stupid it is to cut original wire harness)) I started attaching the wires that go to my stereo and then I checked to see if stereo working, and it wasn't so I decided to crank the engine to not drain battery while tinkering with wires, NO CRANK... I thought that I had just drained the brand new battery, so I put it on a charge overnight and still this morning no crank, even though the battery is fully charged... When I turn the key, I get all the dash lights on as usual I hear a click at center console, but the engine doesn't crank at all, I checked all the "ignition fuses" they are all ok, Is there something that I may have tripped when I cut all the stereo wires? oh by the way, I hooked all the wires back up and still no start, now on this car it has "2" brown wires, and "2" yellow wires, and of course since I just went in and started chopping I am not sure which one goes to which , I tried switching the yellow ones around and still no start...
Can anyone help???
Thank you in advance, I surely pray I am not the only idiot that has cut the original factory stereo harness and someone knows how to fix it..
Laurie in NH
Tig988@aol.com

NewHampGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

Check all of the fuses in the incar fuse block. Pay extra attention to the body or chime fuses. If they are all ok then check all of tghe ones in the underhood fuse block.
Most likely the problem is in the incar fuse block.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
NewHampGirl
Banned

Default Thank YOU, Thank YOU, Thank YOU

Thank YOU, Thank YOU, Thank YOU, that was exactly what it was , I knew it was something simple, just enough to drive me crazy, I am very novice at the whole car stereo install, and I do believe I will go find stereo harness's before I install any more..lol

again thank you so much..
Laurie
NewHampGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Ssicarman

You're welcome.

Glad that you got it fixed.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
redhotftw!

and in the future, you never, ever do wiring with the battery connected. even with fuses, its still possible to fry a wiring harness
redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
RC1488

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotftw! View Post
and in the future, you never, ever do wiring with the battery connected. even with fuses, its still possible to fry a wiring harness
Why comment on such an old thread?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Eli47

Because even old threads contain new information for new users of older models, such as this case.
There are dedicated wiring harnesses to connect to the factory plug from the car, into a new after market radio.
to find out which accessories your Saturn needs go to Metra Electronics and use the on-line guide.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
jayg9219
Banned

I did the same exact thing to the same car your not the only idiot out there lol and thanks soo much Ssicarman I blew the chime fuse just fixed it thanks to you and the first song my new radio played was another brick in the wall (we don't need no education) oohh the irony
jayg9219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Skutt

I just had the same thing happen on my 97' SC2. The previous owner cut the wires to the stereo and when I got the car the original stereo was in but not working. Checking things out I found the cut wires. All the wires in the stereo harness so I hooked them all back up. Now I am having the same problem, no crank when I try to start the car. I have checked all the fuses that have anything to do with the ignition and they are all good. I will go back out now and check all fuses, chime and such.

Commenting on old threads is good because it's not an old problem to everyone every day. Someone, somewhere is bound to run into the same problem.
Skutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
Onearmedbandit86

There is never a good reason to cut factory harness to install a radio...out cars use a standard gm radio plug.any decent parts store has it in stock for less than 15 bucks sometimes as low as 5 bucks...Walmart even carrys them but they rape you on price.
Onearmedbandit86 is offline   Reply With Quote