Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
paintingthesun

Arrow 2002 SC1 coolant leak...

Seems our baby is leaking coolant but we can't find the leak. Eats up a full bottle of coolant in less than 3 hours of city driving. Coolant light rarely goes off except just after filling. As expected, heat doesn't work when coolant light comes on for the most part. I really don't know what I'm doing but don't have a lot of funds for fixing so looking for any common issues (if there are any with this model and year) or suggestions. Thanks!! I also wanted to ask the most cost effective way to get the front tie rod replaced and if anyone has any ideas as to why the brakes seem to go so quick (I swear it's not me tailgating!)

paintingthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

You are going to have to do some detective work. Look around the engine compartment for coolant leaking. Check the hoses. The bottom of the water pump. The radiator side tanks.
The amount you are leaking should show up pretty quickly.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
paintingthesun

Hello,

Thank you for the welcome and the reply.

What we were able to see was this.... it seems to be coming from the metal frame that the engine sits on at the back on the passenger side... hoses appeared to be dry. Constant drip to constant leak when the motor is running and it dies down when the motor is off.

It's not good is it : /
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Ssicarman

I would suspect the water pump more than anything else then. It can drip down onto the frame and travel. Water pump is on the passenger side of the car. Lowest most forward serpentine belt drive accessory.
It can be replaced DIY if you are so inclined with the appropriate place to do it. If not then it should be about two hours flate rate plus parts.

Tie rods. Inner or outer.

Brakes. How many km do they last you? Driving style? City, Highway?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
paintingthesun

BINGO... it was the water pump. $180 for that little issue. 2 cheap tie rods will be $130, $40 for an oil change we requested and some fancy little taxes brings us up to $405 ~ better than it could have been I guess. Wish I was set up for DIY but no place to even try.

Thank you for your evaluation of the situation, super appreciated!

The brakes run down seemingly quick after a 75/25 city/highway ratio. Partner brakes too hard IMHO, lol but I am kind to the brakes ; ) I'll have to get back to you on the km's...

Would it be silly of me to ask this question... how in the hell does a person get the darn interior light back up into the roof? That things been dangling for ages and no matter what I try to rig it doesn't work, lol

Perhaps an unanswerable question without seeing it.

Thank you again so much for your help Ssicarman... you rock!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
RC1488

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
paintingthesun

That is a wicked video ~ thank you!! I really wish it would have run through the reassembly though. I think it might have shed some light on why the piece that never comes out of the roof in the video is now sitting in my cup holder in the middle of the car, lol. When we try to reassemble, that piece won't stay in one place and has nothing to keep it pressured down to clip the light back in : /

So I guess I'm wondering... what was originally holding that upper-most piece of the puzzle in place and how can I make it again?

I've tried strings tied on, garbage ties, etc... very frustrating. Hence the dangle : )

Thank you again! I often think to look for things on YouTube but it didn't occur to me for this.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
RC1488

oOo i see. Its that upper white piece that is causing your issues.

Thats actually attached to the roof itself iirc. I think since its moving around, its a matter of luck to try to get the clips in the holes :/
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Ssicarman

The white plastic card is a floater. Slip it back in place and get the lamp into it. Been a whle since I have had one out so I can't remember for sure iof there are matching slots in the roof metal that the tabs go in as well. If not the friction between the headliner and the lamp will keep things in place. The lights tend to fall out because the two white plastic tabs break so make sure that yours are still intact.