Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
99slap2

Question no heat

Im thinking I have a thermostat stuck open, cause the gauge never reaches the 1/4 mark or even an 1/8 for that mater. Its geting to be winter here in mn and would like to fix tomorow. any info is apreciated,thanx

99slap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
iwish98

had the gauge just begun to act as so? i know when i had a bad cts it never went up but i still dont think that would effect heat.....ive also notice even though mine is slighty above 1/4 mark my heat is still very poor...a stuck open thermostat sounds very possible but ive heard to go with a saturn one and not an aftermarket one for various reasons
iwish98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
99slap2

how much coolant do i neet to drain to change thermo? quart gal, engine and radiator or can i just drain some of the coolant from block
Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
redhotftw!

change your ECTS. its diagnally below ur EGR. if that doesnt fix it its the t stat. and just open the drain plug thats behind the lower rad hose on the block. catch whatever comes out and put that back in. its an open space ones u take the heat shields out and itll drop out about a gallon
redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
99slap2

well got thermo in on sat. took bout three hrs but i could do it again in less than half that now that i know how. took it out on the town after i finished it got so hot we had to turn down the heat. it was close to 30 F, now its 0+ windchill, she lets the car run for close to a half hr than drives 7miles to work (mix of town n freeway) and claims it dosn't warm up. ended up w/napa part cause no saturn dealers in town. now im thinking i shouldve boiled it and checked opening temp.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #6
JohnnyDangerously
Banned

Lightbulb Same problem for me with heat in Sandown, NH

When driving around town the heat warms up nicely. But when out on the highway for about 20-30 miles, and the temps are around 20F th heat will not warm up. It will even get cold if the car is driven for an extended period on the highway.
JohnnyDangerously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
saturn_man

Has the complete coolant system been flushed and new put in? Brand new Saturn OEM thermostat and a new ECTS and that should be all you need. When I was having that same exact problem that is what I did and now my car will roast you out of it! My sugesstion is to use Havoline Dexcool (the orange stuff) and it takes 7qts. Buy it from napa and dilute it your self. Pour the entire gallon (4qts) in and top it off with 3qts or so, untill full and you should be good to go!

Nothing Like it When I'm Done!
saturn_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
RC1488

"Once drained you will find that between 1 and 2 quarts do not readily drain out even if you remove the block drain bolt and open the radiator drain. If you flush with water a couple of times and then add the full gallon of 100% antifreeze you end up with a 57/43 solution which gives you a bit more boil protection before pressure starts increasing."-oldNuc
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
99slap2

Think if its 7quarts I could probaly stand for another quart of water, think I got er too thick to circulate well. just takes a long time to get warm!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
saturn_man

When I did the flush on my car, I actually had a flushing tool that hooked up to an air hose and a water hose. you sent a trickle of water through the different components, flowing both directions untill the water came out nice and clear, and then shut the water off and blast the component with high pressure air. The system comes very nice and clean, and any gunk gets pushed out, and leaves you with a nice coolant mix that was tested to be good to -45 degrees F.

Nothing Like it When I'm Done!
saturn_man is offline   Reply With Quote