Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series

Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
twhutch3

Question fuel gauge problems

I just bought a 2000 sc2 3 door saturn. The fuel gauge does not work. I dropped the gas tank and pulled the fuel pump to look at the level sensor. Could not see anything wrong with the level sensor.Level sensor does remove from fuel pump. Went to auto parts store, but they only sell the fuel pump assembly(including level sensor) which is about 300 dollars. Can any one tell me where i can buy just the level sensor. If I go to used parts what year and model will fit? or can anyone tell me how to check the level sensor. I noticed the wires run up through the trunk where there is a plug. Can I check volts or ohms here. How much should there be here. Do I check with ignition on or off? thanks for all your help. I NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by twhutch3; 06-19-2010 at 04:05 AM..
twhutch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
iwish98

Well first off all the easiest way to verfiy the circuit is good unplug pump fuel gauge should spike full i believe, than short the the proper terminals together(be careful not to auger out terminals) should read empty(it will take awhile to adjust as it is delayed).....as far as testing the level sensor you would have it disconnected and be looking for ohms on a scale of 40-140 i believe just sweep it through the range
iwish98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
twhutch3

Default fuel gauge

thanks, but let me make sure i understand you correctly. the wires from the tank run up through the trunk where there is a plug. If unplug here should the gauge spike to full. then if i jump the plug out, it should go back down to empty. right now the gauge reads empty all the time. if I do this and the gauge does not move then this tells me that the gauge is bad, not the level sensor? I had the sensor out this weekend and i tested the ohms on the level sensor. it was reading from about 18 ohms up to about 300 ohms depending on the position of the float. This makes me assume that the level sensor is probably good. Do you agree?

thanks
I really appreciate your help.
twhutch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
jonnyrocket92
Community Moderator

not 100%. it could have a fault still in the float. where it sends the ohms to the sensor. there could be a shorted wire on the chassis or even in back of the guage on your fuel guage. to be honest I havent seen a fuel level guage need replaced in the 7 years Ive work on them but it could happon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

spoc pa prez.

ex-saturn mechanic.
jonnyrocket92 is offline   Reply With Quote