Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn S-Series > Saturn S-Series - Technical

Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
noturname1979

Default 1998 saturn blowing smoke! help!

ok guys im new here and i have searched and found a few topics but no real answers, i have a 98 twin cam SL and it was running fine when i bought it but i noticed the oil was sirty and looked to be about a quart over filled, so i decided to do an oil change and spark plugs on it. the plugs were very fouled out and black, they were some boush platinums and they had a bit of oil on them from the top. well now on to the oil change all went good eccept it had very dirty oil and a very old stuck oil filter on it, i put some 5w30 penzoil in it and half a quart of lucas oil in it. i start it up and it runs fine, then went to take it around the block and bam when its higher then idle it smokes alot out of the tail pipe and stops at idle. its almost like theres too much oil in the valve cover and its running down into the cylinders. so now im stuck, could the oil drain passages in the head be blocked and holding too much oil in the valve cover?? should i over fill the engine with oil again?? should i try seafoam and try to unstick the oil rings?? should i just drain out the 5w30 and run 10w or 15w in the car? i just bought this thing the other day and i hope i didnt get hosed on the deal! any help is appriciated!

noturname1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
etx4

Sorry to hear you hvae problems with it, IDK if I'll be much help but here goes:
Lets start from the top-- do you have the correct spark plugs installed? Make sure they are a recommended plug. You don't want to put a plug in there that is too hot, or too cold, you will not get proper ignition.

If you've already checked that- try these:

1. Did you check your antifreeze for oil or any discoloration? If there is oil in it, you could have a head gasket issue. If there is water in you oil you could also have a head gasket issue.
2. Did you check your oil level with the engine cold? if you check your oil while it is hot, or right after running it, you will get an inaccurate reading.
3. Have you checked your spark-plug wires to ensure they are snapped all the way on, so you aren't missing a cylinder?
4. Did you try tightening down the valve cover bolts, and every single other bolt you can reach?

I know they sound stupid, but maybe if i suggest the obvious ones first, you can fix it without getting involved in a major operation.
Good Luck.
Jody
etx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
noturname1979

coolant seems fine no coolant in the oil, checked it with it cold and it was just in the middle of the full grid, i used autolite regular plugs then i switched back to the old ones and it still doing it, wires seem to be on fine and the cars not missing at all, the bolts were tightend down on the valve cover, the plugs seem to be getting oil on them some how tho so im thinking the timing chain cover gasket is leaking maybe but dont know if thats were all the smoke is coming from.
noturname1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
etx4

IDK man, throw some liquid glass in the coolant as preventative maintenance if your gaskets are going out, then add some stop leak to your oil.
Another route that I would try is to add an oil stop-leak with a color in it , so you cant detect leaks, then start disassembling till you find it....

Sry bout the bad news, hoped it was something simple for you.,..
Jody
etx4 is offline   Reply With Quote