Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Astra - New for 2008

Old 05-10-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
PurdueGuy

Default Saturn Astra - one step closer to confirmed...

Though not confirmed officially by GM, Automotive News has shared details about GM plans to import the Opel Astra, rebadged as the Saturn Astra (the name all but confirmed), to sell in the U.S.

While the Astra is a hot product, the price will be notably higher than the Ion it replaces - starting around $16,000. Also, while the Ion has been selling about 100K units annually, current plans are for 20-40K Astras to be imported annually.

This isn't confirmed yet, so don't take it as definate plans, but it sure seems closer.

More at: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...opic=8549&st=0

Personally, I'll be happy to see Saturn get the Astra (Saturn may not be what it used to, but at least GM is taking the brand seriously...). I'm not too crazy about the price jump (some is expected, a little less would be appreciated for the base model...), and the importing (I am personally hoping they're just doing it to fill in until they can finish the next design of the Astra in a couple years and tool a US factory - hopefully Spring Hill).

PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
trick94sl2

Cool a Saturn made in Belgium. As far as I'm concerend, if they want to build it there, they can keep it there.
trick94sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
RabidRat06

it might be cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RabidRat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
gn85

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick94sl2
Cool a Saturn made in Belgium. As far as I'm concerend, if they want to build it there, they can keep it there.
Agreed... nice way to say we can't build cars.
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
Support Education
gn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
00saturn

yeah, that's kind of been the trend for the past 20 years...More power to GM for bringing a well built car to the US

16.0@84(must go fasterrrrr)

I can dream can't I
00saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
Whelan

GM owns Opel so they are bringing them over here slowly as Saturns. Read a big article about it in one of the leading magazines R&T, C&D, Motortrend, not sure which but basically they are using the frames and such (global platforms) and bringing the Saturn upscale.

Saturn Aura = a more luxury Pontiac G6
Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
gn85

Yes, Opel is owned by GM. Originally, Opel was a German car manufacturer. It's reputation in Germany is far from stellar.
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
Support Education
gn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
trick94sl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00saturn
yeah, that's kind of been the trend for the past 20 years...More power to GM for bringing a well built car to the US
Well built car? Where do you get that from? Opels have a reputation of being crap. Thanks to GM for bringing over rebadged cars, as always. You would think that GM would have got the hint by now that the rebadged and european inspired cars do not do well here. Like the L-series, the Catera, and the GTO.
trick94sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
E-DUBB

i would just like to see better performance over all. GM needs to step their game up. the cobalt and redline came thru ok with the supercharged engine and what not..............but their still getting spanked. in Houston......there are too many hatch back ek's, eg's, and teggy's running 11s in the 1/4 mile on pump gas. crazy!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
nelson.jones07
Banned

Nice one for you. You can go for it. You will find yourself one among the best one on the road.
nelson.jones07 is offline   Reply With Quote