Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn L-Series

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
wife kills cars
Banned

Default Fuel gauge always on FULL .Help!

SO! I bought 2001 L300 sedan for my wife. when I bought it the odometer wasn't working but for now I'm ok with that (for now). The fuel gauge at that time was at a 1/4 tank. Wifey asked me to fill it up and when I did the fuel gauge pegged to Full. It has been a month and 2 Gm fuel cleaner plus' later and it's still on full and never went down.What do I do? HELP!

wife kills cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
Ssicarman

The odometer may just be the illumination light for it. Very common thing. If it is not back lit so that you can see the numbers then it is the bulb.

The fuel gauge may be a bad sending unit or wiring. It may also be the BCM (body control module) starting to go bad. If no other funky things happening I would lean to the fuel level sending unit as the problem.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
wife kills cars
Banned

I changed the bulb on the odometer when I got the car but it still says 69 k plus and has not moved since I got The car. As for the gauge I as dreading dropping the tank but I guess ill do it after my other projects on cars. Currently doing a starter on her BMW and the Malibu has a ABS light on The bad part is all are due for NJ inspection. Thanks for your help and kind words.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Ssicarman

With the odometer not changing at all and the fuel gauge problem then you may be looking at a BCM issue.
That said if you had the instrument cluster out for the bulb I would pull it again and check the connector first.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
wife kills cars
Banned

The Odometer wasn't working before I pulled out the cluster. The guy I bought it from had told me that before I bought it. Since, I have taken out the cluster 3 times to change bulbs as I get them and checked the back to see if I saw anything strange and everything looked ok , I think. Im gonna sound kinda dumb but what is the BCM? Some control module maybe. Where would it be? Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
wife kills cars
Banned

I found out what the BCM is. I hope its not it because everything else is working.Last week I pulled 2 codes (egr and a misfireing code) so Im replacing the EGR valve because of the erratic idle. It hasn't come in yet but pricey at $188 bucks.The GM fuel cleaner plus worked well for a tank but I guess there's to much carbon in the egr line. Other than that the car runs very well and I want to keep it. I just want to address the issues.