Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > General Saturn Model Range Discussion

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
yardboss3
Banned

Default SC1 hard shift up and down

Hello everyone, first post so be gentle with me. I just bought a 2001 sc1 1.9 automatic. 133000 miles. The car runs super, but it shifts into drive, and reverse hard. When going up through the gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, fourth, it shifts hard, and back down through the gears, 4,3,2,1 hard shifting. I have replaced all five solenoids in the valve body, hoping that would fix it, but no luck. I changed the fluid, and filter, same thing. motor, and strut mounts, still hard shifting. I havent checked the codes yet, but starting to get worried i may have wasted my money. any suggestions? Thanks, in advance

yardboss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

Have you checked the transmission fuses in the underhood fuse block? Is the connector to the top of the transmssion in good condition?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
yardboss3
Banned

No, i haven't checked the fuses under the hood, i will, and yes, the connector on top of the tranny was burnt at the top right of the connector. I believe it as the line pressure connectors. I went to a junk yard, and bought another. I did not solder the wires together though. Would that be a problem? Also, the buss plate, and all other terminals looked o.k.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Ssicarman

If the connector terminals were burnt/melted then the buss plate terminals would be affected as well. Replacing the buss plate would be a good idea.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
yardboss3
Banned

Yes, I knew that was going to be your next suggestion, lol. There is a salvage yard not far from where I live, with a saturn in it, I was going to buy the valve body from that car, and change out the whole thing. Good idea or bad? Not sure of the mileage on that car, but if its not too high I may try it. I didnt think to look at the buss plate on mine, stupid of me I know.

Last edited by yardboss3; 09-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
yardboss3
Banned

sorry i havent gotten back to you, been working alot. I have a couple day off now, so i will try to figure this out. I will be posting so "heads up"
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
yardboss3
Banned

Just curious, but after some reading on google, and you tube, could this just be a sensor that's causing my hard shifts?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Ssicarman

About the the only sensor (s) that might affect the shifting woudl be the temp sensors, engine and or trans, but not to the point of real harsh shifting. I would start with checking ther buss plate and fuses.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
yardboss3
Banned

ok, so far I have replaced buss plate, and electrical connector, all five solenoids,, last night I replaced the valve body, (with a used one) it helped with the downshifting, but the upshift is still very hard. anyone wanna buy a 01 Sc1. ha ha.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Ssicarman

You didn't say for sure if you checked the fuses.
How is the engine running? Idle ok? No SES light? I remembered the TPS could cause shift issues but again to get a real harsh shift it would need to be quite bad and it would cause running issues.
A wonky alternator could cause issues as well but by 2001 the alternators tended to not put out dirty voltage (AC leaking into the DC) which caused the issues.