Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > Saturn Vue > Saturn Vue - Technical

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
andy_springfield
Banned

Default Saturn Vue 2005, 4cyl 80kmiles -misfiring-

Latest work done.

Changed oil approx 50 miles ago. Oil is changed every 1500 miles/Filter every 3000.

Air filter is reasonable. Have not changed out fuel filter.

Just filled with gas yesterday 11gal drove about 3 miles without issue.

This morning started vehicle and engine is misfiring. Idle/acceleration. It does not go away. Don't know if I can make it to autozone to get a diagnostic reading. As it is completely misfiring I tend to think its plug/wire/coil in that order.

I will change out the air/fuel filter as it can't hurt and since I intend to replace the plugs, might as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am a ship engineer and a wrench, so no worries about mechanical suggestions, however, I am not up to date on car acronyms for the engines etc or what they may mean.

Have a Haynes Repair Manual and utilize it for fun stuff.

Thanks for your time.

Andy

Also, would a mod mind moving this thread to the Sub-forum Technical forums? Thanks!

Last edited by andy_springfield; 10-31-2012 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: would like post moved to technical forums
andy_springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Ssicarman

Welcome to the Board.

Getting the codes would be the easiest way to start. Points to the right area immediately.
The ignition control modules on these engines had issues with going bad on two cylinders. This would cause a flashing check engine light, hard starting, the car would barely be able to move as it would be running on two cylinders. The cylinders that would loose spark would be 2-3 or 1-4. If it is this then the fix would be a new ignition control module and four new plugs.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
andy_springfield
Banned

Damn, you pretty much hit it. It was hard starting with the flashing check engine light...and the car can barely move as it is apparently misfiring, although the light is now solid. Guess I will have to invest in a code checker. Been meanin too, I am just lazy.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
andy_springfield
Banned

Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles from Amazon for 20USD? is this sufficient or should I invest in a more expensive one?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
andy_springfield
Banned

and thanks btw
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Ssicarman

CAN enabled and 20$ you should be good to get the codes that you need.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
andy_springfield
Banned

Went ahead and ordered the autel and a user manual. Will let you know what happens, plugs, filters should arrive tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what I get.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
andy_springfield
Banned

Got the scanner.

Fault 01
Pend 01

P0300
01/02

P0300 P
02/02

My understanding is that the reader has found 2 P0300 faults. This is multiple misfires of the cylinderx2. I can't narrow the misfires down to 1,4 or 2,3 unless I am using the scanner incorrectly (tryin to find a youtube how to video to complement the CD, but meh) Regardless, it is looking like the coil pack, so I will head down to autozone and squirrel something up. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Ssicarman

P0300 is a general multiple misfire code. It is not linked to any specific cylinder. P0301/02/03/04 would be misfires for cylinders 1 through 4. I would start with the plugs and see what happens. A general inspection of the plug boots for condition would good.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
andy_springfield
Banned

Knowing that it would read specific cylinders misfiring if it read it as so means a lot. I agree, I will pull the plugs and inspect them accordingly. Have the air filter/fuel filter etc, will replace them etc. Damn shame, it wasn't an easy one.

Andy