Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Modifications > Performance Modifications

Old 02-07-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
bruzer

Default port and polish and 3 angle valve job

is it worth the money? i am getting a quote shortly and i was wondering if it was worth while. I eventually might be dealing in a turbo or n20. Is the 3 angle valve job worth it? Does it require new valves/springs? How exactly does it help? does it just allow the valve to sit better? Thanks for dealing with my questions.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
Yodareturn

i wish i knew....

laters
austin
Yodareturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
funkymonkey
Banned

Default my two cents.

Well i aint no super expert but here is my idea on this. Opening up the flow path in any way is a good thing, thats why you add aftermarket intake and exhaust. port and polishing opens up the airways but also improves how the air flows into the chamber. (oh gosh now im going to start sounding all technical, thanks guys). The valve job improves the way the air flows around and under the valve face. basically what head work does is insure that the air/fuel mixture is properly and effeciently spread across the face of the piston which means a nice clean powerful combustion. its good for a nice 10-15% increase if done properly. Port and pollishing aint an exact science but a good reliable machinist can usually nail it down right. As far as valves and springs go; as long as your valves are in good condition all they'll need is a good cleaning which will be done when the angle job is done. As for the springs, stock springs are fine they are actually rated up to something like nine thousand rpm's but the new double valve springs look soooo nice, its up to you if you wanna spend the money on new ones or keep your more than copetent factory ones.

And this has been my two cents.....
funkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:19 AM   #4
Asianman Ed

I thought the stock springs let the valves start floating at 6000 something rpms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asianman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:01 PM   #5
alkemyst

The redline is close to 7k, valve float would have to happen after that.

Also there are other variables that can have a spring good to 9k (if it is) and still have float. Depends alot on the wieght of the valve train.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
Joeybagodonuts

hi bruzer, first ALL saturns come stock with a 3 angle valve job, so doing a standard valve job they would follow whats allready been done, now, to get the most performance theres sevral ways to approach it but ill tell you what weve found and what we do
some people think getting a 5angle is the shiznit, well wrong, saturn exhasut valves are to small to enift from a true 5 angle as they will never seat on all 5, rendering it useless.
what we do is a 5 angle cut on the intake valves, on the exhaust valves we do whats called a radius cut, this ensures proper seating. a radius cut will also work just fine on a intake valve. but, we prefer the 5 angle on the intake and a radius cut on the exhaust.
but no shop (machine shop) should say your getting something special with a 3 angle cause thats what saturn does stock. in the old days a 3 angle or 5 angle was considered a performance gain, but modern cars have allready been engineered to produce the most possible hp reliably out of their current designs. in order to gain better performance you have to go above and beyond what is stock, which is a 3 angle.
best bet for performance is to look into the radiius cuts, get it shaved 14 thousands or more for compression and have some porting and polishing done to the head, now, when porting there is some tricks to that to, you need a certain amount of turbulence to combat reversion, we use a rough edge around the ports before the area where it is higly polished.
there is plenty of performance to be gained out of a saturn head, allthough engineered well they are made with the most economy in mind, not to their full performance potential, and that is where a good head job comes into play.'

VIVE BENE, SPESSO L'AMORE,DIRISATA MOLTO
"live well, love much, laugh often"
SATURNSPOT.COM ADMINSTRATION
Joeybagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
sc2_ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybagodonuts
and that is where a good head job comes into play.'
Well, that can be taken several ways.

And before you ask, the bodykit is from:

sc2_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 02:47 AM   #8
Yodareturn

wow... i did not know that

laters
austin
Yodareturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:32 PM   #9
bruzer

dang joey, if i knew what was best for me, i would send my head to you to have you do it. But seeing that i am 12+ hours away from you and teh fact i need my car on a daily basis.... any ideas? seems logical what you said but kinda hard to find a machine shop that would be capable of doing that to a saturn head w/o screwing it up.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:23 AM   #10
Joeybagodonuts

bruzer no problem man, im not a fly by night, i own my own inventory, ill use one of my heads, and this way your car aint tied up, then when im done you can mail me your old one as a core, drop me an email, ill be happy to do and simply put i have done more custom saturn heads then anyone, all these other places simply farm out the work to any old machine shop (xrc, sps, they dont build their heads) they send them out, excpet for the valve job and shaving we do our own custom heads right here. and since thats all we do your getting someone thats truly familar with the set up, not somone learning, not some machine shop that does maybe one saturn head every 6months or is the lowest bidder. ya catch my drift?

VIVE BENE, SPESSO L'AMORE,DIRISATA MOLTO
"live well, love much, laugh often"
SATURNSPOT.COM ADMINSTRATION
Joeybagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote