Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 08-16-2002, 02:49 AM   #1
mrsaturn

Default cooling fan won't turn on!

OK.....I just bought a '93 SL with the SOHC and the fan will not kick on no matter what. I unplugged it and attached leads to the battery and got it to turn on, so I know the fan motor is good. Any ideas?

Also, the AC quit working.......are the two connected somehow? Both the fan and AC were working fine a few days ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW........is the dealer the only place to get an air filter for my SL?!? Nobody seems to sell one for my car (or even list a part #). Thanks again.

mrsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:59 AM   #2
Grif97sl2

The cooling fan will kick on if the AC is turned on, otherwise the fan will not kick on unless the engine is REALLY hot.

If the fan does not kick on and yer temp needle is redlining, suspect the CTS sensor. Thats the Coolant Temp Sensor, its prolly bad.

If yer AC doesnt kick on, first suspect the environmental control panel, perhaps a dirty or bad switch.

OR... could be a bad relay check the relays in yer fuse box(s)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grif97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 05:47 AM   #3
freeze12

AC will not kick on probably because You are low on Freon.
Fan will not kick on because of a faulty Coolant fan switch.
Try Pep Boy's,Autozone,Napa etc. for the filter as it is not a hard to get part.

NAPA Filters Air Filter (Gold)
Front Item#: FIL6107

Price: $ 16.99
Attributes:
Attributes: Air Filter (Gold)
Style: AP
Height (Inches): 1.320''
Height (mm): 33.53mm
Length (Inches): 9.480''
Length (mm): 240.79mm
Width (Inches): 5.710''
Width (mm): 145.03mm
Type of Packaging: Box

Warranty: Free of Defects in Material & Workmanship during the Period of Sevice Life Recommended by the Engine or Equipment Manufacturer. See Complete Manufacturer's Warranty
freeze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 01:38 PM   #4
mrsaturn

Thanks guys. I just ran a code check and got a code 26, which is "PCM Detecting an improper voltage on the circuit that connect to the Quad Driver Module".

Is this the PCM or a separate thing? If it is a PCM and needs replacing what models can I get them off of. My car is a '93 SOHC, is that the only PCM that can be used or can the twin cam PCM from the same era work?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #5
aL93sc2

you can re-wire the fan to where you control it, the purple/black wire coming fro the fan is the positive, no hard wiring, just like a fog light switch and stuff like that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aL93sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 04:47 PM   #6
ProjectSW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aL93sc2
you can re-wire the fan to where you control it, the purple/black wire coming fro the fan is the positive, no hard wiring, just like a fog light switch and stuff like that
there's an easier method... that will retain the original wiring of the car where it is and still allow both manual and automatic control of the fan

"wolfman", a saturn tech on SatSpeed forums posted this:

Quote:
1. Open the under hood fuse box
2. Locate the black 1 inch square relay labeled "Cool Fan Relay"
3. Pull up on it and jiggle a little to remove it.
4. Look at the socket it came out of and locate the slot closet to the INSIDE edge. The socket nearest the big bolt head you'll see directly accross from the driver's fender side edge of the fuse box.
5. Find a piece of wire long enough to reach from where you want your switch to the box. (18 guage max...I used a single strand of speaker wire!)
6. Strip about 1/4 inch of insulation from the wire and insert it into the socket mentioned above you want it to fit tightly once the relay is reinstalled (not by itself ) and make sure it will NOT touch any other relay pins or sockets once the relay is reinstalled.
7. Reinstall the relay (Note it will ONLY fit in one way) Make sure it is plugged back in all the way and you wire is now pinched firmly into the socket by it.
8. TEST THE CONNECTION THIS WAY....turn your key to "RUN" position....Now GROUND the other end of your wire to any good ground The Fan's relay should trip and the fan come on.
9. Provided it passed the test, just route the wire to your switch and provide a GROUND (NOT POSITIVE) to the other side of the switch and your golden.

This modification uses the car's existing wiring and power to activate the fan "on command" you do not need to use any additional inline fuse. Likewise it will not interfear with or damage the automatic system and is easily reversable. Since it provides low current draw relay trip GROUND voltage it is also very safe and unlikely to cause any shorts (a short in the wire would simply activate the fan (ground) or do nothing at all (positive).
I did this, and it works great.... and several people have reported that the keys need not be in the car at all... I can turn mine on without my key

ALSO... let me add that YOUR FAN RELAY may have BURNED OUT! Simply replacing it could be a fix here... I picked one up for like $10 at AutoZone

----==[ ProjectSW1 ]==----

Coming Soon! A New Saturn Online Community / Information Center
ProjectSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 01:14 AM   #7
mrssaturn

8O :? :P :P :P :roll: :wink: :?: :idea: :evil: :twisted:

I bet just before this happened you did the following:

jumped the battery or replaced it, and if you may have caused a short?
I killed mine by getting the pos/neg on backwards, stupid me just for split second. I hope you can get it fixed.

good luck.......
mrssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 01:45 AM   #8
Ssicarman
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaturn
Thanks guys. I just ran a code check and got a code 26, which is "PCM Detecting an improper voltage on the circuit that connect to the Quad Driver Module".

Is this the PCM or a separate thing? If it is a PCM and needs replacing what models can I get them off of. My car is a '93 SOHC, is that the only PCM that can be used or can the twin cam PCM from the same era work?

Thanks.
Here's a stupid question. Did you check the fuse for the cooling fan?

Code 26 usually does not indicate that the PCM is NFG. It is usually a component controlled by one of the quad drivers. Like the cooling fan.
Ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:18 AM   #9
wolfman

If you are getting the quad driver code on a 93' OBDI car and the fan/ac is also not working prime suspect is the ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor) 2 wire sensor screwed into the cylinder head just below and to the right of the EGR valve. Number 2 suspect would be a loose or bad fan control relay as you have already confirmed it is not the fan itself. All the relays in your underhood fuse box are INTERCHANGEABLE. Try swaping the fan one with on on the others to test the relay.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:22 AM   #10
mrsaturn

Ssicarman,

Yes......I've checked, rechecked and sapped out the fuses and relays. Everything there checks out OK. Thanks for teh suggestion though.

mrssaturn,

Do I have a "wife" I don't know about!?!

Thanks for your insight too......actually, I had to jump start the thing due to a weak battery and for a split second I attached the cables backwards (felt stupid doing that.....I know the difference between pos & neg!).

It looks like I may have inadvertantly fried the PCM. Does anyone know what PCM's will work in my '93 SOHC? I'm guessing a twin cam PCM is different, but I really don't know. I found 2 or 3 twin cams ('92-'94 models) in the junkyard up here in Maine (I live in Denver), but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

Can I safely drive this car as it is for 2000 miles? Assuming I rig up a manually fan switch to keep it cool, will I risk any permanant damage to anything if I wait until I get home to fix it properly (assuming the twin cam PCM doesn't work).

Thanks again for everyones help......I am new to Saturns and can use all the help I can get!