Saturn Spot

Go Back   Saturn Spot > Saturn Model & Technical Discussion > How Do You Fix This? > Technical Issues

Old 09-10-2002, 03:48 PM   #1
leshabs29
Banned

Default Replacing Head Gasket

Hi,

My friend (the one who's GOOD with cars) is going to replace my leaky head gasket. I have a '97 SL2 with 130k. I have the parts but he has the mechanics manual and it says we need a "Front Crank Seal Replacer", part # SA9104E. Can't seem to find it anywhere, Saturn doesn't want to know from someone not getting it done by them and my local parts supply store looked at me like I was crazy!!

3 questions:

1. What is it?
2. Do I need it?
3. Any other "special" tools I'll need?

My friend has done this numerous times before, just not on a Saturn.

Thanks

leshabs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:08 AM   #2
wolfman

The tool you refer to is used to replace the front timing chain cover to crankshaft seal. It is NOT absolutely necessary. If your friend is a decent mechanic it can be done using a large socket to drive in the new seal. He will need to be carefull not to nick or otherwise damage the cover when removing the old one. NOT a big deal really, just not as easy without the tool. He just needs to make sure to install the seal in the right direction and bottom it squarely in the bore in the cover. Also smear some petroleum jelly on the seal lip prior to reinstalling the cover. You might also "gently" remind him to make sure to pack the oil pump IN the timing chain cover with petroleum jelly prior to reinstalling it as well or the engine will suck air instead of oil on initial start up and pretty much destroy itself...many aftermarket shop manuals seem to "neglect' to mention this little critical proceedure.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:26 PM   #3
leshabs29
Banned

Default re: Head Gasket repalcement

Thanks Wolfman. Very informative. I'll let you know if this all works or I'm skateboarding to work!!!!

CaryO
Old 09-13-2002, 12:03 AM   #4
Joeybagodonuts

anytime a person who claims to be ANY kind of mechanic says the words, "just not on a saturn" when doing ANY type of mechanical work be prepared to observe the following
lots of stripped and broken bolts
lots of cut and broken fingers
lots of cursing in the garage etc etc LOL
a saturn IS THE EASIEST car in the world to work on, bar none period, not saying everyone should know how to do a head gasket but anyone thats done ANY kind of major mechanical work can look into an engine bay of a saturn and SHOULD say, damn, thats the easiest car ive seen to work on in 15 years!
ok, you should definetly do a enw saturn timing chain kit while in there if not near brand new or done allready
cost at saturn around 200.00, aftermarket ones make you buy the peices to the kit seperate and you actually wind up paying more for a timing chain kit then if you went to saturn themselves.
when the guy breaks your engine or stips a bolt in the block or sumthing, keep my number close, good luck.....
can we please hear how this goes? blow by blow, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VIVE BENE, SPESSO L'AMORE,DIRISATA MOLTO
"live well, love much, laugh often"
SATURNSPOT.COM ADMINSTRATION
Joeybagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:02 AM   #5
MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybagodonuts
a saturn IS THE EASIEST car in the world to work on, bar none period...
HA!
HA! HA! HA!
That's what I say.
Although that may be true for mechanical work, it's completely sh*t s when it comes to their windshields.
This will continue as a venting period in a separate topic in general discussion.
MR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:55 PM   #6
Joeybagodonuts

ahhh very TRUE MR, yes the saturn windsheilds are known in the glass industry as THE ****ING WORST to cut out or deal with, thier silicone turns to a hard plastic, but, theres a reason for it, saturn actually relys on the glass and glue for structurual rigidity, when that glass bonds it makes the car flex less, drive a saturn with its windsheild OUT, youll see what i eman as it flexs and groans like a 3 door coupe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VIVE BENE, SPESSO L'AMORE,DIRISATA MOLTO
"live well, love much, laugh often"
SATURNSPOT.COM ADMINSTRATION
Joeybagodonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:28 PM   #7
leshabs29
Banned

Default Head Gasket Fix

Actually my friend owns a Saturn and has helped me replace my fuel pump, fuel sensor, struts, etc. etc. this year. Because the official Saturn Mechanics Manual doesn't specify sizes, we didn't know what size the "Crank seal replacer" needed to be and if we had something that could substitute. Didn't want to start a project that we couldn't finish.

And, yes, the new timing chain is in my trunk awaiting replacement.

Thanks to all and I will update you in a couple of weeks when we do it, broken bolts and all!!!

CaryO